You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-10 09:59:43

rankinfile

The Old Band shell - Veteran's Way

So what's the deal with the old Band shell on Veterans Way?

During the last couple of weeks in November, I noticed that some local pukes had punched a fist size hole in the back wall of the band shell.  An open scab on this fine old building.  I was out of town for a couple of weeks in December, and when I returned, there is the band shell covered in about 5 4' x8' pieces of plywood presumably to cover more damage.

Heck, this is not the hidden area of the second floor of an underground garage!!.  This is 10 feet from a fairly major travel route!!  The City has let a small scab fester to the point where it is now covered with plaster casts.  You let a scab fester, and pick away, you know what will happen.  Do the Parks Board or Public Works not have access to a carpenter who could have replaced  a hunk of board to fix a small hole??  Well, you see, it was not in our budget, it is a capital asset and we don't have money to fix it, we would need to hire a consultant to determine the proper was to carry out the repairs, we need to follow the class environmental review standards, including public notice and the required time for public review and comments, but they don't make that type of wood planking anymore......and on, and on....

No--leave it and watch the damage fester--and don't bother to see if you can catch these vandals.

What is next---total amputation??????????

#2 2012-01-10 12:05:21

Steel

Re: The Old Band shell - Veteran's Way

The Stratford Lions club some years (10 or 15 if memory serves) ago undertook the renovation of the Band Shell. It included repairs to the stage floor, the back of the shell, the roof and refinshing the surfaces. There were two issues that came up and they centred on the materials needing to be used. The age of the structure and materials used when it was built were no doubt modern at the time but are not at all weather proof. The freeze thaw cycles other the years cause the lath style wood on the shell the swell and seams to open up causing more damage. The stage floor is no different.

As it is designated a heritage structure there are limited things that can be done. The rush to designate all sorts of buildings in and around town some years ago is now coming back to haunt many. As they age the cost of repair to the same standard as was used 75 to 100 years ago is not practical and certainly not long lasting. There are certainly materials that could be used to replace the lath like shell and T&G wood floor. It would give it the same look of course, but hertiage folks would say it is not authentic.

Your comments above are certainly correct though and mainly because of its "hertiage" designation the cost to reasonably repair the Bandshell quickly becomes unreasonable.

I for one think the bandshell is far under utilized. Properly done and minor regrading of the lawn opposite would make this an attractive venue throughout the summer months. Left as it is it has quickly become an eyesore.

#3 2012-01-11 18:18:10

spankie

Plus if we could find some place to ship off the local pukes who think harassing the tourist and damaging property are fun it would help to. Course their probably young offenders so even if they were caught they'd get off scott free.

#4 2012-04-05 14:52:45

rankinfile

Passed by the Band shell today---they did a beautiful job of the repair!!!!  I wonder how much the repairs the little pukes cost the taxpayers???  Looks like they also replaced a number of the floor boards---they did seem to be falling apart--good they contracted the full repair job at the same time.  Now maybe the cops and the rich b's who overlook the park from their lofty towers can keep and eye on it.

#5 2012-04-06 10:19:30

Steel

rankinfile wrote:

Passed by the Band shell today---they did a beautiful job of the repair!!!!  I wonder how much the repairs the little pukes cost the taxpayers???  Looks like they also replaced a number of the floor boards---they did seem to be falling apart--good they contracted the full repair job at the same time.  Now maybe the cops and the rich b's who overlook the park from their lofty towers can keep and eye on it.

Does look like a good job. I am sure it cost a fair amount. The vehicle there when the work was underway "Heritage Restorations"....speak to the coin that was probably charged. That structure was designated a hertiage structure back when it was all the rage to run around town and designate everthing out of fear of losing them. Down stream costs of being forced to do repairs in a certain manner was not considered in many cases.

As for your comments regarding the "rich" over looking this place....I am puzzled as to where you think the "rich" live that over look the band shell. Victoria Towers (the Mexican Jail)....was and is a low priced building not at all worthy of its location and has never commanded anything but low level prices. The other residential building....is rental apartments.

#6 2012-04-06 11:12:49

rankinfile

Steel wrote:

rankinfile wrote:

Does look like a good job. I am sure it cost a fair amount. The vehicle there when the work was underway "Heritage Restorations"....speak to the coin that was probably charged. That structure was designated a heritage structure back when it was all the rage to run around town and designate everything out of fear of losing them. Down stream costs of being forced to do repairs in a certain manner was not considered in many cases.

As for your comments regarding the "rich" over looking this place....I am puzzled as to where you think the "rich" live that over look the band shell. Victoria Towers (the Mexican Jail)....was and is a low priced building not at all worthy of its location and has never commanded anything but low level prices. The other residential building....is rental apartments.

My apologise for "up ranking" residents of what I had thought were condo apartments.  I can recall being told that some of these residents persistently call the cops about "noise" when here are concerts (such as the yearly 'Blackout celebration concert')  I guess I mistakenly assumed such complaints would emanate from the "privileged rich"---not 'jail' internees.

#7 2012-04-06 18:22:55

Steel

rankinfile wrote:

Steel wrote:

rankinfile wrote:

Does look like a good job. I am sure it cost a fair amount. The vehicle there when the work was underway "Heritage Restorations"....speak to the coin that was probably charged. That structure was designated a heritage structure back when it was all the rage to run around town and designate everything out of fear of losing them. Down stream costs of being forced to do repairs in a certain manner was not considered in many cases.

My apologise for "up ranking" residents of what I had thought were condo apartments.  I can recall being told that some of these residents persistently call the cops about "noise" when here are concerts (such as the yearly 'Blackout celebration concert')  I guess I mistakenly assumed such complaints would emanate from the "privileged rich"---not 'jail' internees.

The newer building (probably the horrid white building) is full of old retired people....who always seem to be "bothered" by just about anything....hence I guess the fact that the band shell is tremendously under utilized.

Board footer