You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-14 13:51:00

logicisscary

Firefighters, back pay and taxes

Ok, I get it, Firefighters are risk takers, hero's so to speak.  But I think the recent decision by an outsider to jab at our budget for the city needs to come with serious outcomes.

For one, the budget to the fire department needs to be impacted first.  Time for cuts, savings or whatever to find the money to pay their fellow fire firefighters. No new firefighters.  No new equipment.  Look for savings everywhere!

IF this is the real value of these folks, then we need to adjust the current budget to reflect reality.  CUT budgets, tax our dispatching partners i.e. other townships, and not go looking for any more money from citizens.  No cuts to pools, no service fees, no new taxes.  Take if from the department first, then come to the people.

#2 2011-12-14 23:34:54

Steel

Re: Firefighters, back pay and taxes

logicisscary wrote:

Ok, I get it, Firefighters are risk takers, hero's so to speak.  But I think the recent decision by an outsider to jab at our budget for the city needs to come with serious outcomes.

For one, the budget to the fire department needs to be impacted first.  Time for cuts, savings or whatever to find the money to pay their fellow fire firefighters. No new firefighters.  No new equipment.  Look for savings everywhere!

IF this is the real value of these folks, then we need to adjust the current budget to reflect reality.  CUT budgets, tax our dispatching partners i.e. other townships, and not go looking for any more money from citizens.  No cuts to pools, no service fees, no new taxes.  Take if from the department first, then come to the people.

Pools?.....we have more than one the city pays for?

As for "taking it" from the SFD....I would say no....as for not giving them any more....I say yes

#3 2011-12-15 11:47:07

logicisscary

I don't want to pay another dime for the firefighters pay.  Something has to go, thats all.  NO more cuts to other services to fund fire or police.  No more taxes for it either.  So, what is the solution??

#4 2011-12-15 16:28:32

Steel

logicisscary wrote:

I don't want to pay another dime for the firefighters pay.  Something has to go, thats all.  NO more cuts to other services to fund fire or police.  No more taxes for it either.  So, what is the solution??

Logic...I am in agreement. I am sick of every year the SFD and the SPD saying they need another cop or fireman when there is no apprieciable increase in population to warrant it. The whole retention pay thing is a rouse as well....unfortunately what they have is what they have....when they ask for more the answer should be a flat.... NO

#5 2011-12-16 15:21:16

logicisscary

The article today in the Beacon where we hear for the first time of this concept of a partial F/T fire dept with a large platoon of p/t volunteers to supplement them- this is BRILLIANT!

Time to layoff some bodies and bring on the volunteers!  I like it and we save some molah! Lets investigate that immediately.

#6 2011-12-23 13:31:56

rankinfile

Damn, read in the BH last night--the City and FF can't understand the arbitrators report in how they are to calculate the "retention pay" issue.  And this wing nut who took 2 years to come up with the figures blew off the request from the paper--"the report speaks for itself"--yet it is unclear on how to do the calculations.  And they haven't even got his bill yet--and the report has been sent back by the City for clarification.

For a director with at least 23 years service--would get a yearly increase of $7,702 or perhaps $8,857 per year depending on how they do the math.  So a firefighter could be making $106,122 per year----and with enough time off to do another job.

What a farce.  At least the union did not get their request for yet another rank - platoon chief".

I think the firefighters have burnt their own bridges.

#7 2011-12-24 06:53:51

bulldog

there is nothing any city can do until the province enacts legislation about the methods of arbitration.     there is no doubt we need firemen and policemen,,,,,,,, but these wages and retention bonuses originally designed for toronto staff so they would not leave for other greater toronto municipalities is considered by many as extortion........

just think how many lives could be saved with the millions of dollars saved by cuts to more reasonable salaries..   money directed to poverty,,,health care,,,,,,

#8 2012-04-03 13:51:46

logicisscary

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/20 … ispatchers

What a gig! Everyone in Stratford should get a slice of this action!  These city employees had better be spending their income that we tax payers in Stratford have been FORCED to give them in the city and not on some useless vacations out of country.  Our money, keep it here. 

Sad day for Stratford, firefighters should be ashamed and embarrassed- I would be!

#9 2012-04-03 16:21:55

rankinfile

Retention pay!!!   We need to pay them EXTRA so the wont leave for some other force.   Hold the door open---let them leave---replace them with some other trained firefighter from the "big smoke" who wants a better life in our burg.  As for the dispatchers---who now get 75% of a firefighters pay.....say, do they go thru the training programs.......  I wonder if they join in playing cards with the boys overnight!!

This arbitration crap has got to be fixed!!!

Board footer