You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-11 16:24:35

spankie

Chevy Volt

So we're already paying more for Hydro because we supposedly don't have enough to run what we're currently using. Where are we going to get the hydro to fill up these Volt's once they start into production? Plus there will be the extra Hydro cost to fill it and you'll only really be able to do that during peak hours. So you will have to fill it at night in the summer and during the day in the winter. Also what exactly is the range of this thing as there won't be any available refueling stations unless your only ever making return trips. Is this really a solution to the oil problem? At the moment no I don't think so.

And if wind power is so expensive to produce and not very efficient why have we not been looking at more Nuclear plants? I can guess. Just something else for the enviromentalist to protest. Well here's an option for them. They can either live with the Nuclear plants and we'll start driving electric cars or they can live with the pollution from the cars we're already driving. Choose then shut up.

#2 2011-10-13 15:06:12

Steel

Re: Chevy Volt

Oddly disjointed post Spanks....

I have always said the electric cars are not the rose garden they are made out to be. It is of course the darling of Dalton and his crew which of course means you should avoid it like the plague. Remember Bush's.."we are going to grow our fuel"...that certainly lasted...a few months or so....

Electric cars are:

- They are expensive to build and produce a larger carbon foot print for manufacturing by far than any normal car
- The batteries are highly toxic to produce and also to dispose of...in fact they are considered toxic waste
- battery life is 5+ years and cost $7k to $10k to replace
- Nissan Leaf as an example has a range of 100 miles....and 13 hours to complete a full charge.
- Cost of a full charge at nominal electric rates (without Dalton's sky high rates)is about the same as the cost of enough ultra low sulfur diesel fuel to drive the same 100 miles. 
- not all electricty is produced free of emmissions so that needs to be factored into mix
- Nissan Leaf costs about $40,000. A blutech diesel powered VW...about half that.
- There are almost no remote charging stations anywhere. (afterall who wants you sucking their power and parking your car in their lot for 13 hours?)

So what do we have here....a car that can not get you comfortably to the JLC in London and back in the same day...costs twice as much as a regular car....when all things considered has a carbon foot print not much different than a conventional car...and when the inconvienence factor is looked at costs way more to operate.  Net gain....absolutely zero

#3 2011-10-14 11:36:20

spankie

I can see having a hybrid with electric power but using a small gas engine to keep the batteries charged and for added power when needed but a true electric car is still not a real feasability due to the range restriction alone. When you add the other factors it's just isn't going to fly especially in Canada.

But don't tell the environmentalist that.

Last edited by spankie (2011-10-14 11:36:51)

#4 2011-10-14 12:33:10

Blueline

spankie wrote:

I can see having a hybrid with electric power but using a small gas engine to keep the batteries charged and for added power when needed but a true electric car is still not a real feasability due to the range restriction alone. When you add the other factors it's just isn't going to fly especially in Canada.

But don't tell the environmentalist that.

I'd fall under the environmentalist label but I agree with you and Steel on this.

#5 2011-10-23 23:20:06

bulldog

i am afeared that we are all doomed as ocean freighters burning dirty crude cross the pacific with our chinese trinkets exchanging U.S. currrency to buy 6 billion chinese their cars and yes more cool fired electrical plants.........

global warming may be unavoidable.........

#6 2012-03-16 12:26:14

Rumble

In just a few years, people will be screaming when it's time to replace a $10,000 battery in a $2500 car.  Meanwhile taxpayers can watch their national debt skyrocket while governments subsidize electric cars, wind turbine developments, and other nonsense.  Let's hope there's a trillion dollars hiding around somewhere to replace the dilapidated power grids f North America.  But by then we'll all be riding bikes, right?  LOL

Last edited by Rumble (2012-03-16 12:27:20)

#7 2012-03-17 14:11:51

Steel

Governments have never been good at picking winners. When it comes to a number of things they just lack to ability to understand that the market itself will find the answer if left more or less to its own devices. This is especially true when it comes to any consumer related purchase.

Production of the Chevy Volt has been haved due to lack of demand. Wind turbine and solar panel market is in the tank. Solar companies survive only based on the subsidies of governments and in Europe...once a hot bed for this...governments are slashing these subsidies. Dalton and his friends will soon face that reality here....they will ignore it at their peril.

Vehicles produced today produce some 50% less harmful emmissions than 10 or so years ago....and a much much higher ratio from cars of the 70's and 80's. Fuel efficency has dramatically increased as well. Electric cars are NOT green....they are far from it and in the next few years the the proof the government has yet again not picked the winner will be evident.

Board footer