You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-14 22:33:36

logicisscary

John Kastner & Hobbies we Fund

I have been watching for a few weeks lately as John tosses a grenade into various topics and discussions using his newspaper then ducks and runs!  The Muni, buskers, tax rates, bus routes and on and on....

Well, his latest swipe at the Muni Golf Course is my current bug a boo.

In his brilliance, John states that cities should not be funding 'hobbies'.  Huh, well John, in case you haven't noticed our precious hockey arenas are not fully funded by the users: our ball diamonds and soccer fields are not fully funded by the users~ in fact, no sports facility, no community hall (owned by this city at least) is making any money.  So, John, should we close the arenas or sell them off?  By your logic, yes= sell Muni, all hockey arenas, all soccer and ball fields-yep all of it cuz really, these are all just hobbies for small groups of users that don't pay for themselves!

So, John, before you decide to toss a grenade into the discussion, maybe you should check all your facts. 

My 2 cents-I'm ok with some losses on all of the hockey rinks, ball diamonds, soccer fields & the Muni.  Why, cuz a city is more than just a business.  Sometimes you have to provide services for a community to be a community.  Do we want to be Toronto West aka new Fordville-hack, slash & cut to the bone?  Not me!

#2 2011-08-15 21:09:12

Cougs

Re: John Kastner & Hobbies we Fund

Pretty ironic considering that Mr. kASStner was a HUGE part of the rallying force behind the city paying for the new hockey arena..........

I find everything that John says to be a thorn in my behind.

And you are absolutely right: Check the facts, man, check the facts.

Last edited by Cougs (2011-08-15 21:09:27)

#3 2011-08-15 23:03:29

rankinfile

Well...in an effort to stir the pot a bit....the institutions supported by the City mentioned above  do not directly compete with similar facilities in the private sector.  There are no private libraries,  or in Stratford private ice rinks, baseball parks,etc.  But there is a private commercial golf course that the City is trying to compete against.

I think there is an argument to be made that we need not support similar facilities with tax payer funds.   I'm not a tennis player---can the same argument been made by comparison with the tennis club near Upper Queen's Park.  Not sure how this place is funded.

#4 2011-08-16 17:33:08

bulldog

perhaps johnny is a member of the country club which is experiencing terrible financial problems like most golf courses in north america..............and he is taking it out on the muni which always was a working man's golf course and a great place for kids to learn the hidious game...........

there is a big shake up coming in private golf courses in north america as the recession continues and the baby boomers wear out their hips and die off..........

the yearly membership costs at these fancy pantsy country clubs could feed a lot of children in third world countries.......................

i urge all golfers to destroy their clubs and return these oversized manicured lawns back to natural habitat for wildlife........................

#5 2011-08-16 18:47:13

Cougs

I'm with you, bulldog.

As George Carlin used to say (and it's about the only portion that I can quote on a G rated site):
"There are over 17,000 golf courses in America. They average over 150 acres apiece. That's 3 million plus acres, 4,820 square miles. You could build two Rhode Islands and a Delaware for the homeless, on the land currently being wasted on this meaningless, mindless, arrogant, elitist[...]and a boring game.

#6 2011-08-16 23:24:37

robert m

i urge all golfers to destroy their clubs and return these oversized manicured lawns back to natural habitat for wildlife........................

It would better to turn it back into farm land so we could feed ourselves....

#7 2011-08-17 19:16:47

bulldog

we could hunt deer if it was natural habitat and feed ourselves,,,perhaps go 50/50................................with cultivation...............

#8 2011-08-17 21:50:43

robert m

How many deer would there be to hunt on Stratfords two golf courses??

#9 2011-08-17 23:39:36

Cougs

Heck, I've got dozens of 'em on a 75 acre parcel....
How many acres are in a golf course??
wink

#10 2011-08-19 05:04:45

bulldog

i would take a guess that we have 200 acres between the 2 courses so the question is how many deer could live and then be hunted sustainably?????

we better contact the minister of natural resources.........

#11 2011-08-19 09:13:07

rankinfile

An easier option that could be undertaken right now is the harvesting of Canada Geese on the Lake (river) for the food bank.

#12 2011-08-19 10:31:34

Cougs

wink
I always thought that very thing when I lived in TO.
There are so many Canada Geese there along the lake that they could feed the nation's needy for years...
Alas, they are a protected species.
It's kind of like protecting rats in a hen house..........

#13 2011-08-19 20:28:34

bulldog

you can hunt them if you have a license and a shot gun and live in the country but they are a bit "gamey"  not like kentucky fried chicken.......seagulls are protected but they are not as yummy as getting goosed.............

#14 2011-08-20 07:07:17

Cougs

Nothing's as yummy as that, bulldog.

So, with Thanksgiving coming soon, I think that it's our moral duty, then, to stock the golf course's treed areas with deer, grow crops on the greens and fairways, maybe throw some trout into the water, and harvest those nasty geese.
There.
All solved.
Now, pass the stuffing.

Board footer