You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-23 17:20:23

Steel

Mill Stone

This place is located mid way down lower Ontario Street and infact is exactly where the "Down the Street" (DTS) place was for years.

So...3 of us went into see the place a couple of weeks ago, me, GF and GFF (Girl friend's friend). We called ahead to make sure there would be a table as it was a Friday and asked for 6:45. On a Friday night with the theater in swing getting atable at this hour at DTS would have been impossible. We got one at 6:45 no questions asked. When we arrived we realized why. The place was about 10% full. Sure.. as the evening worn on a few more locals trickled in.

Love or hate the old DTS, it was unique. It was cozy, warm, soft, inviting, romantic if need be, and that might not have worked for all, but judging by the crowds over the years a lot more liked it than didn't. Mill Stone....180 degrees in the opposite direction...Cold, Hard, uncomfortable, less than inviting, certainly not romantic. If every there was a redo of a successful restaurant that literally killed the success that was once there...this is it.

The menu looked good and the girls wanted the chicken....it takes a half hour to prepare...nix that.... GF and I ordered Fish and Chips and GFF the vegetarian linguini. The chips were supposed to be triple fried so expected them well done and spectacular....nope...on par with Harvey's. To their credit the fish was fine. Not spectacular....but fine. We asked for mayo with our fries and they didn't have any. The wine list was a disappointment from the stand point of selection. If this is fine dining then why am I only able to order "white wine" or "red wine" by the glass?...granted it was from a Ontario winery and that was good....but could I have a choice of a Chardonnay or a Sav-Blanc...not just white wine?

Service was ok, but frankly we were so disappointed at that point in everything from the stark décor to iron patio chairs (indoors) to the lack luster food....the server could have done back flips and it would not have mattered.

Needless to say...not heading back. I give them one more season and they will be closed

#2 2017-05-16 13:05:43

Steel

Re: Mill Stone

Half way through May and not a sign of anything at this place. Frankly it looks deserted.

Board footer