You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-19 19:10:08

rankinfile

Market Square

Lots has happened in the past year, and not much posted here.  Mega bucks spent on planning for the Market Square.....and no consideration of the proposal for development in front of the City Hall.

So last month the three main proposals were narrowed down and one came out on top, based I think on the submitted design and public comments as well as proposed costs.  Of course there was the issue of the destruction of a number of public parking spaces, but I gather councillors did not think this was a big deal, but the local businesses sure did.

So the architect was sent back to finalize their plans, and what did they do...well change the idea and added a 3/4 size winter skating rink where the buses currently sit.  Oh, might that add a bit of a cost....like and extra $30K per year in operating costs, and another  1/4 to 1/2 a MILLION in construction costs.

Seems to me that this is a fairly major departure from the proposal that was vetted before the public.....and I thought final costs were a big factor in the decision.   Perhaps they could use the hot air that emanates from City Hall to run the Ice machine and off set some of the operating costs.  But they might need a further consultants repost to consider the feasibility of that.

#2 2016-09-23 16:43:22

Steel

Re: Market Square

of course the one that came out on top was one from a company that:
a) does not live here
b) has probably never been at an event at Market Square
c) has no vested interest in the success or failure of the plan.

Board footer