You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-08 17:13:35

Steel

Taverna

This is the old location of Pazzo's upstairs and a more refined experience than the Pizzeria. Taverna opened last season after an extensive renovation of the space that took it from a sleek minimalist look to what it is today. So what's that you say....?....well its a whole lot warmer space now with the stainless steel bar replaced with rich wood, antiqued mirrors reflecting the windows, a distressed plank floor with various runners and carpets and combination of large banquettes, low chairs and cocktail tables and more traditional tables and chairs. All and all I thought it was an improvement and more richer looking than before.

There were 4 of us myself, GF and our friend's (husband FH and wife FW). What clicked for us the its was $5 cocktail night for 5 through to 11. we were seated at a traditional table at one of the large windows and were able to watch the sun go down and the lights of the evening starting to come on. I had a Manhattan to start and GF and FW a vodka something and FH a Heineken. The menu is not large but is adequate. I ordered the pan seared rainbow trout with eggplant purple potatoes and a light pesto, GF ordered Beef cheeks over polenta and both FW and FH ordered the spaghetti with veal and pork meat balls. Portions were very nicely sized and left you comfortably full.  Their Focaccia bread and olive oil with balsamic is always nice for dipping. The food was very well presented and excellent in taste.

We of course had a couple more cocktails to finish off. Service  was very good and prompt. A nice alternative to downstairs and generally about the same sort of price. GF and mine was $98 with the tip.

#2 2014-06-07 08:45:38

Stratfordian

Re: Taverna

First time to Pazzo's upstairs since the makeover.  Had lunch yesterday at Pazzo Taverna (just a note based on Steel's posting, it is still Pazzo's of old in a way, a re-do of the restaurant and new theme, but the same owners - Hi Larry!).  Excellent soup to start, the gnocchi was well done, perhaps could have been hotter.  A pint of Stratford Brewery's Commons ale (Pazzo's is the only place I've ever had it, not sure where else, if anywhere else, it's available).  Companion had the same soup and another starter as main, arugula salad, both well received.  She had wine.  Total came to $81 with tax.  I will definitely be back.

Pazzo's next-door experiment has iteration # 3 open now, Pazzo Bambino.  Have not yet been, but met Larry and it is an Italian experience, the bread-based bakery is gone, more like an Italian cafe, lots of sweets apparently. 

By the by, we ended up at Pazzo's for lunch, because Down the Street isn't doing lunches until June 28th.

Apparently there's no market for lunch downtown until then.

Funny, Pazzo's, Bentley's, Fellini's, Syrkle Foods, Perth County Food, etc., were all open and busy.

Strange....

Last edited by Stratfordian (2014-06-16 12:45:04)

Board footer