You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-17 17:25:50

mr.nelson

Offices to be Elected

List of Candidates (Unofficial)

Information will be updated as Nomination Papers are filed.

Office of the Mayor

Robinson, Don - 1069 O'Loane Avenue - Date Filed: January 21, 2014

Councillors

Voting Centres

Beginning Monday, October 20, 2014 to Monday, October 27, 2014, Voting Centres will be set up for eligible electors in Stratford who wish to use computers for Internet Voting. Designated Staff will be there to answer questions and to assist electors. Check the City’s web site for dates and times at www.stratfordcanada.ca or call 519-271-0250 ext. 237 in October.

Voting Period

“Vote by Internet or Telephone” will take place 24 hours a day beginning Monday, October 20, 2014 starting at 10:00 a.m. up to and including “Election Day” Monday, October 27, 2014 ending at 8:00 p.m.

Maybe now that Dan's debt is so high he will bail and let new blood clean up his mess and work for the taxpayers instead of his own pocket

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#2 2014-02-17 18:26:43

rankinfile

Re: Offices to be Elected

"Maybe now that Dan's debt is so high he will bail and let new blood clean up his mess and work for the taxpayers instead of his own pocket"

Say what??????

If he is working for himself....why does he have such a high debt.  Are you suggesting something nefarious is going on here???

I was under the impression he is doing a good job!

#3 2014-02-17 22:09:30

bulldog

who is Don Robinson? What is his main issue???

#4 2014-02-23 15:04:57

spankie

If Mr. Nelson like him you know you don't want to vote for him. He must be a Lawrence Ryan fan.

#5 2014-03-16 18:43:33

mr.nelson

Robinson city's first declared candidate for mayor    

Donal O'Connor, The Beacon Herald

Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:30:27 EDT PM 

Don Robinson, a life-long Stratford resident, will seek the mayor's job in the Oct. 27 municipal election. (DONAL O'CONNOR, The Beacon Herald)

Don Robinson wants Mayor Dan Mathieson's job.

He wants to see the city doing a better job of meeting the needs of lower income citizens and the elderly, and he would set up a youth committee to get young people involved in their own future.

Robinson, 47, is so far the only declared candidate for mayor of Stratford and will be seeking the leadership position in the Oct. 27 municipal election.

In an interview Sunday he cited his 26 years of management experience as a qualifier for the mayor's job. He is currently employed 37 hours a week at Walmart where he looks after inventory. He also drives a taxi with City Cabs.

“I think Stratford is a wonderful place to live. We just need to get our financials in line and make it a more feasible place to live,” he said.

Robinson says there are too many unnecessary consultant studies and reports and that the municipality should be more open to businesses locating here. He says taxes are too high and suggests the city should do more to assist businesses in retaining jobs in the city.

He had been doing a lot of air travelling in a previous, farm-related job and stopped when he was dealing with some health issues, he said. He decided to “slow down a little bit from the travelling.”

Robinson found he enjoyed driving a cab for “something to do” and decided to stick with it.

“I'm a real people's person. I like to hear people's concerns. And that's one thing, if I become mayor, city hall is going to have an open door policy. My door is always open. If we can fix their concerns promptly that's what will happen.”

He questions the need for spending $90,000 on a Cooper site report. Or spending on a study regarding police and fire department dispatch services.

“Why pay for studies that you don't need. You're elected to do a job and the citizens want to see that job done.”

Robinson said he would put an end to city politicians taking overseas trips, leaving that to higher levels of government.

“We have Canadian delegates that go over on our behalf . . . That would be something that would be stopped right away. You know, free rides.”

Robinson cites a need to have city buses operating on Sundays for people who need to go to work or go to church.

“The seniors need more . . .They can't afford taxis every Sunday. A lot of people are on fixed income.”

He questions the state of road maintenance in Stratford, suggesting roads were better when tar and chip resurfacing was regularly done.

“I think the wasted spending at city hall is the big thing,” he said, acknowledging roadwork and sewer replacements cost money.

“I want to be a mayor for 100% of Stratford,” said Robinson, suggesting that the current mayor is leaving many out.

“He deals with the upper class quite well. Mid to lower class, I don't think he has any concept of what their issues are and what they're going through,” he said referring to Mathieson, who hasn't yet declared whether he intends to seek re-election.

Robinson suggested there's a need to look into conditions in public housing. And he said bus drivers should be more courteous and helpful to older riders.

“Stratford needs a change. It really does. We can't go another four years the way we're going.”

Among the changes he would like to see are more front line police officers and volunteer firefighters complementing career firefighters.

“We need more police and I honestly believe we can go with some volunteer (firefighters). Do we need all full time firemen?”

But Robinson draws the line at calling for another study on a mixed fire department – as the city is doing -- citing studies that have already been done elsewhere.

“I think there's been enough studies,” he said.

Asked why he decided to put his name up for mayor rather than seeking a councillor's position, Robinson cited his experience and the issues facing the city.

“I figure with my experience and Stratford being in the state it's in with an $87-million debt, industry leaving – they can go elsewhere and get tax breaks to employ people, people having trouble to get to work on Sunday because they can't afford cabs, I thought this was the spot to start.”

“I've always been one to go straight to the top anyway. I'm not a follower, I'm a leader.”

His business background has included being general manager of four Tim Hortons in Stratford, he said.

The father of daughters aged 19 and 21 – both Stratford Northwestern Secondary School grads -- said he has been thinking about running for mayor for about the past five years.

“I think my chances are really good. I'm out there now talking to people. I'm getting the issues that need to be corrected.”

Robinson can be contacted at don4mayorofstratford@gmail.com or by phone at 271-4197.

donal.oconnor@sunmedia.ca

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#6 2014-03-16 19:01:03

Stratfordian

I'm certain Dan is shaking in his boots.   Lord love a duck, as my mum in law would say...

#7 2014-03-16 20:19:33

bulldog

its pretty tough to get a cab during the christmas party season....there is never one when you need one...........

#8 2014-03-17 16:09:15

spankie

bulldog wrote:

who is Don Robinson? What is his main issue???

Don't know but do we what a taxi driver running the city?

#9 2014-03-18 17:11:38

rankinfile

Ah yes...well considered platform!!
Spend more on road repair, more on poor housing, get the buses running everyday including Sunday, more police, more fire-fighters (well actually volunteers)--
But wait, we pay too high a tax rate, and we have $97M debt.....

I'm sure it will all work out in the end...he will look after the poor and middle class, not just the rich folk in town.

Walmart, drive a cab, manage 4 Timmies......what more could a town ask for....a well rounded entrepreneur.  I wonder what he wants to doo with the Cooper site??

#10 2014-03-21 12:34:04

spankie

rankinfile wrote:

Ah yes...well considered platform!!
Spend more on road repair, more on poor housing, get the buses running everyday including Sunday, more police, more fire-fighters (well actually volunteers)--
But wait, we pay too high a tax rate, and we have $97M debt.....

I'm sure it will all work out in the end...he will look after the poor and middle class, not just the rich folk in town.

Walmart, drive a cab, manage 4 Timmies......what more could a town ask for....a well rounded entrepreneur.  I wonder what he wants to doo with the Cooper site??

Turn it into a high priced museum of Lawrence Ryan achievements. Oh wait there are none.

#11 2014-03-27 19:07:29

bulldog

Some people are more gifted than others.  People like Lawrence Ryan and J.D. Graham are magicians,  they can make hundreds of thousands of dollars disappear

#12 2014-03-29 16:32:04

spankie

bulldog wrote:

Some people are more gifted than others.  People like Lawrence Ryan and J.D. Graham are magicians,  they can make hundreds of thousands of dollars disappear

Even better trick is Lawrence seems to be able to do it legally.

Board footer