You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-07 09:24:22

bulldog

not in my back yard

i see that nimbyism is alive in well in the area to the south of central school.  exhibit A is the extremism of church street residence to refuse a slight widening of their roadway by 200 millimeters......exhibit b is the squawking of residents over the walk for cancer at the central flats claiming they will not be able to sleep,,,,bla,,,,,bla.......bla...........

#2 2012-04-07 15:16:59

Steel

Re: not in my back yard

Walk for Cancer had been in our area (Serc) for years and  was never a problem. I have no idea why they moved

#3 2012-04-13 15:39:03

scooter
Administrator

If you have a chance to watch the latest city council meeting on Rogers, both these issues provide some interesting dialogue.  City council apparently voted down a recommendation from public works two weeks ago to put in the roadway at its recommended width, then this week basically said that the narrower roadway was no good (with a few councillors considering a motion to put it back to the recommended width).  The mayor eventually stepped in and suggested that it get deferred until the other councillors who were away come back so that council isn't even more "embarassed" with a possible continual flip-flop of ideas.   

As for the walk for cancer, I agree.  It's a fantastic event which should easily be granted a noise exemption for the evening.  Surely one can take a vacation for that one night of the whole year if it causes that much strain on your sleep.

#4 2012-04-14 16:06:03

bulldog

the family of a cancer survivor wrote a letter to the gazzette stating the following:

"My 21-year-old daughter has been fighting her battle for over a year now, and I would like to inform the people objecting to this event taking place at this venue that having to rely on the Canadian Cancer Society is not something that they ever want to experience. And I truly hope they never do.

I have a solution for the Relay for Life neighbours concerns.

Put aside the “how does this effect me” attitude for one night, grab a pair of sneakers, cross the street and join in the celebration of battles won, remember those who lost their battles and support those whose battles are ongoing.

Trust me, you will have your eyes opened!"

i echo this sentiment as these central flat nimbies have really picked on the wrong event to show their selfishness.......

#5 2012-04-14 18:33:59

spankie

It might help if those same residents who don't want to widen church st. also didn't park on it making it almost impassable.

#6 2012-04-16 00:56:19

bulldog

i find the widening issue amusing as 200 millimeters or 8 inches or the width of a car tire seems to be relatively minor...............

CAVE....Citizens Against Virtually Everything

#7 2012-04-16 12:15:42

spankie

bulldog wrote:

i find the widening issue amusing as 200 millimeters or 8 inches or the width of a car tire seems to be relatively minor...............

CAVE....Citizens Against Virtually Everything

Welcome to the wonderful world of Stratford.

Board footer