You are not logged in.

#121 2012-12-15 16:48:13

bulldog

Re: Suit alleges fraud by former employee

remember this one from seek for no reason......

"It's a misunderstanding that's going to be corrected."

"In my opinion, many of us would have done the same in his situation to protect the people he felt he had to by his actions."

#122 2012-12-20 17:30:54

Steel

bulldog wrote:

remember this one from seek for no reason......

"It's a misunderstanding that's going to be corrected."

"In my opinion, many of us would have done the same in his situation to protect the people he felt he had to by his actions."

Not sure how anyone could misunderstand what the evidence clearly points to.

To the second point....I sincerely doubt any of us would have done the same.

#123 2013-01-18 14:38:06

mr.nelson

Graham gets 2.5 years behind bars 

Laura Cudworth, The Beacon Herald

Businessman JD Graham was sentenced today to two and a half years in a penitentiary for defrauding the Perth Community Futures Development Corporation of more than $575,000.

Superior Court Justice Roland Haines called Graham's conduct and the consequences that followed “serious.” He noted the money lost has cost PCFDC the capital, the interest and the ability to reloan the capital.

“Several other legitimate loan applications had to be rejected because of limited funds,” he said.

Graham had been employed as the lending manager at Community Futures -- a non-profit agency that provides business advice and small loans to startups in Perth County as a way of stimulating the economy and creating jobs.

Graham presented fictitious loan applications to the finance committee then recommended the loan be granted and arranged for a cheque to be issued. He then deposited the money into his own bank accounts. Those cheques totalled $521,852.

Graham also created false invoices from Credit Risk Management, the law firm Monteith, Ritsma, Phillips and a property management company to be paid by PCFDC. Those false invoices totalled $54,000.

“These were not impulsive, unconsidered actions,” Haines noted, they required skill and deception in order to be carried out.

The frauds took place over a period of about five years.

Defence lawyer Henry Van Drunen had asked for a sentence of two years less a day to be served in the community.

Crown attorney Mike Murdoch asked for three years of penitentiary time.

After the sentencing, PCFDC general manager Nigel Howard said the judge recognized the impact of the fraud on the agency and the community, particularly the loss of interest and the ability to reloan money over the years since the money was taken.

“I think there's a feeling of relief. There's no satisfaction in it at all. There’s relief it was dealt with appropriately,” Howard said.

“It’s been very stressful for everybody -- the board, the staff and, I think, for the community. It has had a really negative impact,” he said.

PCFDC won a civil judgment against Graham in February 2012. In that judgment, Justice P.J. Flynn ordered Graham to pay $763,168 to PCFDC. In light of the earlier judgment, Haines did not order restitution as part of the sentence.

None of the money has been paid back so far.

A second civil suit against Graham and his wife Susan Graham, owner of P'Lovers, has been filed and is ongoing.

“We’ll still look at every avenue legally available to us to recover funds despite his incarceration,” Howard said.

“The emotional quotient is behind us, now we'll deal with it as a regular collection issue,” he said.

laura.cudworth@sunmedia.ca

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#124 2013-01-18 16:11:12

Stratfordian

Bu' bye...

#125 2013-01-18 21:50:14

bulldog

2.5 years in the Pen,,, now he can be the Loans Officer at Kingston or Millhaven.....................

#126 2013-01-25 11:18:52

ConcernedCitizen

Anyone notice how "StillSeekingReasons" isn't saying too much these days.
I wonder if this silly individual finally realized that Mr. Graham was lying to them also!
Seekerofreason I direct you to Mr. Nelson footnote for the last time!

#127 2013-01-27 20:54:19

rankinfile

Earlier I said
"Well, I won't be at court to listen to all the sordid details, but I would imagine that reporters from these two newspapers will be there.  And they will likely report on what is said, including the "reasons" why JD apparently took the $$.

I would also imagine that the two newspapers will print a synopsis of testimony, including "What, when why and how".    We will then all know the "truth"."

Disappointed!  Where are the "reasons"???  Only speculation.... but because of ongoing law suits against Susan...it would 'seem' that the $$ were directed into the store.  But Seeker was adamant that the store and JD were completely separate.

Perhaps, just perhaps, all that JD told his good friend Seeker, might not have been the whole truth.  And I am sure this is hard for him to stomach.  It will be difficult for JD to pay back some $763K from just work in the crow-bar hotel.

#128 2013-12-19 12:30:22

mr.nelson

Stratford businessman taken to Maplehurst earlier this month    

Laura Cudworth, The Beacon Herald
Thursday, December 19, 2013

Stratford businessman JD Graham was picked up by police and taken back to jail this month.

The Repeat Offender Parole Enforcement (ROPE) Squad out of Toronto arrested him for breaching conditions of his parole Dec.9 and took him to Maplehurst Detention Centre, Det. Brett Anderson said.

“The parole officer will make contact with Corrections Canada and deal with it from there,” he said.

Back in January, Graham was sentenced to two and a half years in a penitentiary for defrauding Perth Community Futures Development Corporation out of $575,000. Graham had been employed as the lending manager at PCFDC—a non-profit agency that provides small loans to business start ups in Perth County to stimulate the economy and create jobs.

Graham presented fake loan applications to the finance committee, recommended the loan be granted and arranged for a cheque to be issued. The cheques, totaling $521,852 were deposited into his own account.

He also created false invoices worth $54,000 from Credit Risk Management, law firm Monteith, Ritsma, Phillips and a property management company.

Graham served a portion of his sentence and was released on parole.

“We never even knew he was out, for at least a month,” said Nigel Howard, PCFDC general manager.

He was aware Graham had been picked up but doesn't know why.

Graham made no attempts to contact Howard, a common release condition is no contact with victims, and he's not aware of any attempts to contact any other PCFDC employees.

“There are so many conditions they could have got him on anything,” Howard said.

An arrest warrant was issued Nov. 28 in connection to the violation, Anderson said.

The ROPE Squad locates and arrests provincial and federal escapees, parole violators and dangerous offenders across Ontario. It started in 2002 and is made up of members of 15 police services—municipal, provincial, regional and federal.

“Corrections Canada contacts us then we go deal with that. It happens across the province,” Anderson said.

laura.cudworth@sunmedia.ca

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#129 2013-12-19 12:36:34

Stratfordian

Sentenced in January to 2.5 years in prison, yet somehow he is arrested for parole violations on November 28th, ten months later, so he spent perhaps nine months in jail.

Wow.

Just, wow.

Last edited by Stratfordian (2013-12-19 12:36:58)

#130 2013-12-19 19:20:06

rankinfile

A bit of a crap story by the BH if you ask me.  Hell....big bold type at the top of the front page above the fold.  Dhhh...I don't know why he was arrested...didn't even know he was out of the clink!!   Well someone issued an arrest warrant.... why did not the "reporters" find out the information about WHY he was arrested.  If he was out on mandatory surveillance is that not indicating he had done his stint in the slammer and was being rehabilitated into the community??  What...did he see his wife...and she was a party to the case??  How about they find out some of the whys and whens before they look for some "news".

#131 2014-01-24 10:10:58

Stratfordian

A for lease sign is up at P'Lovers.  Guess the legal bills for criminal defence lawyers, bail revocation, civil suits (fraudulent conveyance, restitution, etc.) are adding up and the efforts taking time away from running a business.  Bu'bye...

#132 2014-01-24 15:22:43

rankinfile

I believe I heard that the Mrs. who runs the store has been ill....I'm sure the stress of having hubby in the klink would not be pleasant...and the cost of hiring a trusted body to run the place would be high.  That is unfortunate.

#133 2014-01-24 17:33:03

bulldog

I still wonder where all of the money went?????

#134 2014-01-25 22:33:18

Stratfordian

It is interesting how an otherwise incompetent numpty can embezzle (i.e., steal) three quarters of a million dollars, and none of the funds are tracked.

I am sorry for the wife, to a point.  While I do not believe she had any direct knowledge of the theft, the after the conviction/civil trial conveyance of the shares in the company was done with her full knowledge.

I have no sympathy for either of them.

Sorry.  I don't like thieves or their molls.

#135 2014-01-26 07:02:07

rankinfile

So what have our two hard working newspapers been  doing for a week?  Where is the in depth reporting to advise on why JD was re arrested??

And while they are at it.....where did the $$ go???

Board footer