You are not logged in.

#16 2011-09-28 01:21:15

Stfdres4life

Re: Suit alleges fraud by former employee

Cougs...

A word to describe a person who diverts funds intended for others into their PERSONAL account would be "selfish".  Mr. Graham has taken money intended for those who need it and has fraudulently kept it for himself as personal gain.  What word would you use for that type of person?  "nice?" "kind?"....  "honest?" lol...  Mr. Graham WILL be charged, Mr. Graham will have his day in court and Mr. Graham WILL be found guilty. 

I will wait until his guilt is found for you - cougs - to apologize to me and tell me I was right all along wink

Res4life

#17 2011-09-28 08:33:20

Cougs

Don't hold your breath.

#18 2012-02-24 10:08:41

mr.nelson

Court orders Graham to pay $763,000

Judge finds for Community Futures in fraud suit against former lending manager

By DONAL OíCONNOR, Staff Reporter

Posted 15 hours ago

The Ontario Superior Court has ordered Stratford businessman J.D. Graham to pay Community Futures Development Corp. of Perth County a total of $763,168 in connection with a fraud perpetrated against the company.

The amount includes special damages of almost $85,000 and costs of just under $96,000.

Graham was acting in a fiduciary capacity as a lending manager employed by Community Futures when the fraud was committed, Justice P.J. Flynn found in his judgment handed down today.

Graham, who has been an owner of the Stratford store PíLovers Eco Lifestyle and who was an active member of the City Centre Committee, was not immediately available for comment.

Andrew Phillips, legal counsel for Community Futures, said the judgment marked ďan important and very significant dayĒ for the corporation.

ďIt is an organization that is not for profit and which works hard to support entrepreneurs in Perth County,Ē Phillips said. ďItís not a happy day but itís an important day for Perth CDC because the judgment demonstrates there must be accountability when the care and management of public money is involved.Ē

In statements of defence filed earlier with the court, the owners of PíLovers had denied allegations that PíLovers benefitted from funds misappropriated from the development corporation. But Graham had admitted to breaching his fiduciary duties at Community Futures to obtain personal financial benefits from the corporation.

The development corporation alleged that more than $540,000 had been fraudulently diverted to its detriment and sought $1 million in recompense and damages.

PíLovers continues to operate under conditions imposed by a court injunction.

The court judgment says as well that some of the proceeds of the fraud have been traced to the property known as 557 Albert St. and that Community Futures may continue the action against the defendants, Susan Graham and Planet Lovers (PíLovers) Ltd.

There has been no judgment against Susan Graham.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#19 2012-02-24 10:42:02

logicisscary

Iíve known JD & to a lesser degree his wife for the last 20 plus years.  I know him to be a concerned member of the community, participating at many levels to improve the conditions of the city, the business community and his friends and family. 

I have had a chance to sit with JD over the last few months while this has been swirling around him and his wife.  I am not here to condone what he has done.  But, I have had a chance to listen and understand the whys of what he did.  In my opinion, many of would have done the same in his situation to protect the people he felt he had to by his actions.

That said, the Beacon and its classless reporting has again shown that it no longer a true paper or truly engaged in the local community.  Instead of reporting with clarity, it chose to report a sensational version of the story, omitting some facts and adding some others to make the story more interesting- and less truthful. 

I have actually read the Judgement.  It was a judgement against JD- not his wife, not Pílovers.  Pílovers and his wife will be cleared in the near future as both Susan and her business were as much victims in this matter as was the CFDC.  JDís actions were stupid-YES.  JDís actions were illegal-YES.  But, his wife and her business were not involved.  I am 150% certain of that after talking to both Susan and JD over the last few months.

Now, Mr.Philips: Your gloating response is something of interest to me.  For a lawyer that is NOT INVOLVED in the case in anyway, you sure have opinions to share.  Your attack of Susan and her business is simply a version of an attack on another victim. For that you should feel ashamed!  Susan has done nothing.  Pílovers has done nothing.  And yet you have chosen to attack her in a personal and uncalled for manner.  Shame on you. The law firm handling the case is Gowlings, not Philips, so why is you speaking? 

Yes, it is a good day for justice.  But Mr.Philips and the Beacon couldnít have done more to kick JD while heís down than they did.  And they are certainly complicit in their assault on the other victims in this matter- Susan & Pílovers.

I will continue to support JD.  Why?  He is a good man that made a horrible horrible mistake.  He deserves a second chance, as all of us do in life.  I will even support Mr.Phillips, especially if he were to clarify his choice to humiliate Susan and Pílovers when itís not his place to do so. 

Pílovers is a good small business that has and I am sure will continue to support the community.  It has given a lot back to us as a city.  I will support Pílovers, Susan and my friend JD

#20 2012-02-24 21:24:07

rankinfile

Wow,  JD admitted he personally breached his fiduciary duties and benefited from more than a half a Million dollars of  funds misappropriated from the development corporation.  Damn---that is not just skimming a bit to cover last months hydro bill.

Well, unfortunately he has been strung, drawn and quartered in the market square.   There is no point on grinding more dirt into the wounds.

Best of luck JD in repaying the $763,000 so ordered by the court.  It is a shame to see a formerly respected City businessman self destruct.

#21 2012-02-25 07:22:16

bulldog

i don't know j.d. graham at all, but i wonder where the half million is????

does he have a nice house and car?????

i may not know jd or how the downtown people do there politics and get their money but i know andrew phillips and he is not gloating, he is representing his client and doing a damned fine job..........................

this is tax payers' money so he is working for all of us......this money was in our pockets and now it has vanished like the wind going through a turbine...........................

as far as the beacon herald goes, its refreshing to see some "boots on the ground" reporting rather than cut and paste from sun media.......

Last edited by bulldog (2012-02-25 07:22:59)

#22 2012-02-25 15:14:00

ConcernedCitizen

WOW!
I've never participated in any kind of forum but happened to run across this when searching for more information on the "JD Graham Story".

I'll be honest I don't know whether to laugh, cry or be nauseated by the anserine comments I have read in here:

Logicisscary - considering this name I would thought you would have presented some intelligent arguments with regards to this situation, however, I'll I can gather is that you seemed to have watched too many Mel Gibson/Julia Robert movies... and to top it off... you imply "THAT MANY OF US WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME!!???" Are you completely off your rocker!!!????
SHAME ON YOU!!!! For you to think for one second that anyone of us would perpetrate this type of FRAUD FOR 5 YEARS... is an ignorant proposition.

JD did not steal bread and milk to feed his family (that would be excusable in many peoples point of view including my own)....he stole $500,000+ over the course of 5 years!

He perpetrated a FRAUD against all Canadian Tax payers...the small business community of Stratford|Perth, and breached the trust of many more organizations within this wonderful community we call home.

Ergo, Logicisscary - all I have to say is your name says it all...although I would argue only YOUR LOGIC IS SCARY!

In the future... If you'd like people to take what you say seriously I would strongly suggest leaving out the rhetoric...

#23 2012-02-26 08:43:15

bulldog

"His role as lending manager gave him sole authority for issuing cheques on loans approved by the organization, the statement of claim says. Graham worked at Perth CFDC from 2001 until April of this year."

this quote from the beacon in an earlier post really points the achilles heal of this organization and "sole authority" leads to  temptation for anyone who has fallen on their sword. 

there is a lesson for all organizations to build in failsafes and audits...including the requirement of 2 signatures on cheques and financial transfers  and for boards to review treasurer's reports..........no one should have "sole authority" in such endeavours..............

#24 2012-02-26 09:07:28

logicisscary

Rhetoric:  noun (in writing or speech) the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast

So, concernedcitizen, where did I use rhetoric?  I used opinion, nothing more.

As for your comments "He perpetrated a FRAUD against all Canadian Tax payers...the small business community of Stratford|Perth, and breached the trust of many more organizations within this wonderful community we call home."  In what way did Mr.Graham perpetrate fraud against the organizations he was involved with (excluding the Perth Community Futures)?  Specifically, I believe you will find that Big Brothers, City Centre, Stratford Tourism and others will all say he was an asset and did nothing to harm them in any way-financial or otherwise.  So this slanderous comment is 'rhetoric' in case you are trying to understand your use of the word today.

I have also found it interesting that since this all came to light months ago, and even more recently, Mr.Graham has received a total of 14 letters of support from organizations leaders as well as 37 letters of support from former clients of the CFDC.  He obviously did something right and well and has earned the respect of people on the street regardless of his horrible mistake.

He knows what he did was wrong, I myself don't condone what he did.  But I am a believer in restorative justice, not old style eye for an eye justice.  'An eye for eye leaves us both blind'

So, move on, live life, worry about your own glass house and stop looking for revenge- it will simply raise your blood pressure.

Last edited by logicisscary (2012-02-26 09:08:26)

#25 2012-02-26 10:54:44

bulldog

this is not the story of a child who cut off the cat's whiskers and knows that he did wrong,,,,,,,this is not a case of;;; oh dear dear there are 41 letters of support,,,,poor,,poor poor man;;;...this is the story of half of a million dollars funded by tax payers that has pulled a houdini............

where i come from,,,,thats a lot of money,,,,,,,,instead of 41 letters of support,,,we need to see 540,000 loonies of support.........plus court awarded costs too.........

#26 2012-02-26 13:30:41

ConcernedCitizen

Bulldog - Bravo!

#27 2012-02-27 09:57:53

Steel

bulldog wrote:

this is not the story of a child who cut off the cat's whiskers and knows that he did wrong,,,,,,,this is not a case of;;; oh dear dear there are 41 letters of support,,,,poor,,poor poor man;;;...this is the story of half of a million dollars funded by tax payers that has pulled a houdini............

where i come from,,,,thats a lot of money,,,,,,,,instead of 41 letters of support,,,we need to see 540,000 loonies of support.........plus court awarded costs too.........

I find the support letters odd and wonder where they came from. This guy embezzled public money and people are sympathetic?.....huh? He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar....the jar happened to be full of taxpayer money and that is the part that is hard to swallow. Sure there have been other people in town that have had their issues but in those cases it was private money and not the public purse.

I continue to try to figure out what I would say to the guy....I am sorry you got caught....no that doesn't work.....I am sorry you messed up.....that doesn't work....I am sorry you didn't take more.....no again.

As bully says....if these folks are all full of sympathy and feel he has some how been wronged....(although I could never figure out how anyone could see that)....then skip the letters and write tne guy a cheque....

Oh yeah.....I forgot....you'd never be sure it went to the right cause now would you....

#28 2012-02-27 21:09:36

ConcernedCitizen

Steel - That is absolutely hilarious!
Well played!!

#29 2012-02-28 12:35:03

spankie

Just like Walkerton except nobody died.

#30 2012-02-28 16:07:27

scooter
Administrator

The letters are not in support of what he has done...so they are unlikely to convert to dollars for his "cause".  However, it's quite easy for a bully to become a victim also...so it's great that we can all stand around and throw stones but in the end I don't think that's doing anyone any good, and eventually anyone who would consider themself a friend will say "yep, you screwed up but I can still find a way to support you while you work to make things right."  No one is saying what he did was right.   

I agree Bulldog that money paid back will speak loudest and in the end I'm sure that is what will happen since JD has admitted wrongdoing (and will therefore try to make it right).  So, I suppose we could continue to bully the guy who has admitted he screwed up...but why?

As a side note, JD is not some pie in the sky celebrity who will never read what is written about him.  He is a member of our community and is an avid reader of these forums.  You should consider anything written in the context that it will very likely be read by him directly.

Board footer