You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-08 05:06:31

mr.nelson

Suit alleges fraud by former employee

This franchise is in the heart of the charming and picturesque festival town of Stratford, Ontario. The Stratford P’lovers, which opened in 2000, is owned by JD and Susan Graham.

The Stratford store has recently moved to 56 Ontario Street – with a wonderful array of alternative products. For more information contact Susan at contact@plovers.ca or at 1-519-271-3883. And be sure to visit their website at www.plovers.ca.

About the City Centre Committee
One of the key CCC aims is to maintain Stratford City Centre as an active and viable ... JD Graham, P'lovers - Treasurer; Janet Ashworth, The County Food Co.

www.stratfordcitycentre.ca/about.html

Current Board of Directors - STRATFORD

... George Brown - Councillor; Nancy Fallis - Ontario Government; Anita Gaffney - Stratford Shakespeare Festival; JD Graham - Retail; Ruth Klahsen - Culinary

www.visitstratford.ca/template.php?article_id=89

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Stratford & District. Give Us a Call (519) 271-7133. Send Us an ... J.D. Graham -Treasurer. Dr. Cheryl Pacheco – Secretary. Richard

www.beamentor.ca/about-us/board-of-directors

Suit alleges fraud by former employee
Perth Community Futures Development Corp. seeking $1 million in damages
By LAURA CUDWORTH, Staff Reporter
Posted 3 hours ago
Perth Community Futures Development Corporation has launched a lawsuit against a former employee alleging about $540,000 was misappropriated.

Perth CFDC is seeking $1 million in damages for fraud, conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation from its former lending manager, John-David (JD) Graham.

His role as lending manager gave him sole authority for issuing cheques on loans approved by the organization, the statement of claim says. Graham worked at Perth CFDC from 2001 until April of this year.

Perth CFDC employees first became suspicious in early August when they spoke to an individual at a diesel repair shop about the business's loan. Perth CFDC was told that although Ultimate Diesel Repair had applied for a loan it had never received any of the funds.

"They were directed to accounts which appear to be under the control of Mr. Graham," said Andrew Phillips, lawyer for Perth CFDC.

Other allegations include the approval of loans to non-existent people or that loan advances were fraudulently diverted into Graham's personal or business accounts. The statement of claim also accuses Graham of creating fraudulent invoices from legitimate suppliers, authorizing payment and diverting the funds. In addition, the claim alleges Graham diverted loan payments made by companies which had obtained legitimate funding from Perth CFDC.

Graham declined to comment on the allegations Tuesday other than to say, "It's a misunderstanding that's going to be corrected."

None of the allegations made by the plaintiff have been proven in court.

Perth CFDC successfully sought an injunction last week to freeze Graham's assets, his wife's assets and those of Planet Lovers Ltd., (P'lovers), also named as 1394561 Ontario Limited.

The injunction is temporary and will be addressed again in court Thursday. Phillips is confident the injunction will be extended.

He stressed the investigation is in the early stages.

Perth CFDC general manager Nigel Howard declined to speak about the lawsuit yesterday, but a statement was issued through Phillips on behalf of the organization.

"We wish to assure the public that Perth Community Futures Development takes this matter extremely seriously. We have notified the Ontario Provincial Police and a very thorough forensic investigation is underway. At this time it appears the allegations of fraud are limited to one former employee. Perth Community Futures Development is confident the impact on current operations will be minimal."

OPP confirmed a fraud investigation has been started.

The affidavit of Joan Marie Gerber, business adviser for Perth CFDC, states with payments applied to incorrect accounts the total impact could reach between $700,000 and $1 million.

Perth CFDC is a non-profit organization guided by a 12-member board of directors that encourages local entrepreneurship and grassroots economic development.

Perth CFDC has provided support to more than 150 businesses and has had a financial impact of about $10 million on the local economy.

As recently as February the federal government gave Perth CFDC $1.1 million to help rural businesses here.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#2 2011-09-08 11:24:00

Cougs

Re: Suit alleges fraud by former employee

I know JD personally, and I DO NOT believe a word of any of it.

He has been tried and convicted in the media, and as far as I know these are all just allegations, and he has not been charged with a damned thing.

JD is far from stupid, and the things that he is accused of doing would be pretty darn hard to do with the expectations of never being caught.

None of it makes the smallest iota of sense.

Don't believe anything that you read in the paper--especially the Beacon...which, coincidentally, has never been one of JD's favourite publications, and he's made no bones about expressing that fact.

I for one will stand by him.

His life will never be the same.

#3 2011-09-08 16:19:29

rankinfile

Cougs wrote:

I know JD personally, and I DO NOT believe a word of any of it.

He has been tried and convicted in the media, and as far as I know these are all just allegations, and he has not been charged with a damned thing.

JD is far from stupid, and the things that he is accused of doing would be pretty darn hard to do with the expectations of never being caught.

None of it makes the smallest iota of sense.

Don't believe anything that you read in the paper--especially the Beacon...which, coincidentally, has never been one of JD's favourite publications, and he's made no bones about expressing that fact.

I for one will stand by him.

His life will never be the same.

You are so right--His life will never be the same.

And it is unfortunate that the flogging in the public square has already taken place.

I hope I am not naive in assuming that a Board of Directors of the Agency are astute enough to NOT enter into costly legal pursuits on "misunderstandings".  The report suggests $540K in question - perhaps up to $1M.

It is possible that this action has been taken completely without his knowledge that there are "concerns".  But one would doubt that there had been no questions raised directly to JD before the axe fell.  If it was just a matter of a "misunderstanding" I would presume the entire world would come to a halt to ensure "concerns" were quickly nipped in the bud.

The freezing of assets will be traumatic--mortgage payments, rent, pre authorized utilities, car payments---all slip into arrears.  And with no recourse other than to appeal to the court.  And it is probably that the freeze was issued without his involvement--although it is being heard by both parties present today (so suggests the article).

Guilty or innocence--the flogging is not to be wished on anyone.

#4 2011-09-08 16:52:50

mr.nelson

Graham quits three posts
By LAURA CUDWORTH STAFF REPORTER
Posted 1 hour ago
A downtown business owner resigned from three high-profile boards Tuesday.

JD Graham resigned as treasurer from the City Centre Committee, as a director on the Stratford Tourism Alliance board and as treasurer for Big Brothers Big Sisters Stratford and District.
Jackie Catania, chair of the City Centre Committee, said she was sad to see him go.
"We on the board have the utmost faith in JD and we have confidence in him," she said.
Eugene Zakreski, executive director of STA, said Graham's resignation is unfortunate.
"JD was a stellar member of the board, he was a treasurer and he played an important role in the early days of STA," Zakreski said.
He added Graham was an important link between the City Centre Committee and Tourism Alliance.
Altiera Essensa, interim executive director of the local Big Brothers Big Sisters, also spoke well of Graham as a contributing member to the organization's board.
"He was an outstanding contributor to our board of directors," she said.
Perth Community Futures Development Corporation has launched a lawsuit against Graham, its former lending manager, alleging $540,000 was misappropriated.
Perth CFDC is seeking $1 million in damages for fraud, conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation.
None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Catania was not familiar with the allegations by Perth CFDC but said she has no concern regarding the City Centre Committee's finances.
Essensa also expressed confidence in her group's finances

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#5 2011-09-08 20:10:56

Cougs

I'm not sure how it works in a charity, but as for the CCC and the STA, not a dollar is spent without the city's approval, so it's a moot point, really.

Not that I wouldn't trust the man with the money, anyway.

It's good to see that the people who work closest with him are giving him their support.

#6 2011-09-09 01:09:55

mr.nelson

If it was me and I knew that I was 100% innocent, I would have stepped aside and step down from the organizations, not resign but only until I can prove my innocence in the court of law. Which he has not yet, so I wish him the best of luck.Only time will tell.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#7 2011-09-09 07:02:02

Cougs

mr.nelson wrote:

If it was me and I knew that I was 100% innocent, I would have stepped aside and step down from the organizations, not resign but only until I can prove my innocence in the court of law. Which he has not yet, so I wish him the best of luck.Only time will tell.

I'm not sure what you're saying, Mr. Nelson....JD DID resign from every organization BEFORE any of this muck hit the papers. It was the honourable thing to do -- to step down and release those organizations of all links to him and his troubles. Both organizations have expressed their sadness to see him go, and their support of him.

I feel confident in saying that both the CCC and the STA would gladly take him back when his name has been cleared. There is no loss of confidence there. JD was an exemplary member of both boards, and I'm quite sure that the doors have not been shut to him.

#8 2011-09-17 21:44:56

logicisscary

Did some digging after an off the cuff remark at Balzacs the other day by a fella on the street that claims to know the GM of the Perth CFDC.  I have since determined that the Perth CFDCs new General Manager worked for Wal Mart to help them buy the property in Stratford where they will finally dig their hole in the ground, right before he took his current job.  Mr.Graham was the spokesperson during the OMB hearings for the city centre?  Interesting connection here.  Former Wal Mart corp type sets out to ruin a business person that defended the city to keep Wal Mart out!  Just interesting info I have uncovered.  May mean nothing.

#9 2011-09-17 22:49:25

Cougs

Interesting, indeed.
Thanks for the info, logicisscary.

#10 2011-09-18 09:37:29

rankinfile

Conspiracy theorists unite!!!!!!!!!  The demonstrated evil of Big Blue.......

#11 2011-09-18 18:11:12

Cougs

Personally, I have never been one for conspiracy theories, but I'm good at math, and I know when something doesn't add up.
There were others in attendance at the OMB who stood up to Walmart, but none of them just happened to have a new boss who rallied on behalf of the big yellow smiley face...

#12 2011-09-19 13:08:15

Blueline

rankinfile wrote:

Conspiracy theorists unite!!!!!!!!!  The demonstrated evil of Big Blue.......

I didn't think logicisscary laid this out as a big conspiracy at all.  I thought he laid out some facts and connected the plausible dots.  "Logic" even said this "may mean nothing" so obviously has things in perspective. 
I wouldn't be so quick to lump this in with tin foil-hatted conspiracy theorists, Rank, but thanks for the hyperbole.

#13 2011-09-26 21:11:49

Stfdres4life

Well, well...  Mr. Grahams actions have finally caught up with him.  All the hopefull small business owners that had great feelings of anticipation in receiving their small business grat and finally taking their small business to the next level.  How frustrating it must be for all the denied small business that relied on this money to help start their dream only to have a selfish fraud of a man swindle the money into his own personal account and pull the wool over the eyes of small business owners oblivious to the fraud...  Mr. Graham is a malicious business owner who will attempt to crush any small business aimed in his direction if he feels his business will be competing with them.  It does not suprise me in the least that Mr. Graham is the centre of this CRIMINAL FRAUD. 

To those out there that know Mr. Graham SOOOOO well just remember that Paul Bernardo's family and friends viewed him as a great person and NEVER suspected him to ever do anything criminal.  My point is that no matter how well you THINK you may know someone you never really fully know what they are capable of criminal offences can be committed by anyone!!!  Mr. Graham knew what he was doing - the evidence is obvious.  This IS NOT a misunderstanding it is a criminal offence that was committed by a selfish man.

#14 2011-09-27 10:51:51

scooter
Administrator

Geeze, let's at least wait until the trial is done before we start throwing mud like this around.

#15 2011-09-27 23:51:54

Cougs

What a load of bull pucky.
I suspect that res4life is a competitor of JD's, and blames his/her failing business on those who are more successful.
Comparing JD to Paul Bernardo? Really?
Anyone who knows the real JD would never use words like "malicious", "selfish", or "crush" to describe him.
Scooter is right....let's give the man (who has still not been charged with anything as far as I know) his day in court before we hang him...shall we?

Board footer