You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-30 12:29:30

Green

Backstage Bar and Grill

It's located in the middle of Market Place across from City Hall.  I understand that it's new ownership (www.backstagegrill.ca).  It opened up a few weeks ago and I've been their a few times.  The look and feel of the main floor dinning rooms has substantially improved.  The service and food have both been spot on during my visits.  There's a club upstairs and I was told by one of the servers that the basement is being renovated into a sports bar.

#2 2011-05-30 21:52:15

Steel

Re: Backstage Bar and Grill

We stopped in this place last Sunday looking for a late afternoon snack and a drink. I have always liked the idea of the fold back windows along the front and they were open and we sat next to them. I can certainly see why they are not ravingly popular...an expanse of ashphalt, parking meters, and the less flattering view of the City Hall. There is something about Market Square and that particular row of buildings. Despite most of them being architectural gems...that block just tends to look run down and tired. There have been some attempts at bring the buildings back to former glory but in most cases it was half hearted and under capitalized.

That said, Backstage occupies about 2/3rds of the original foot print of the old Othellos. The left hand foot print at that. The entrance is the old entrance that led to the upstairs (now reborn as a dance bar) and the down stairs (now being reborn as a sport bar). The main area is basically as it was in Othellos day, right down to the bankettes with the wrought iron over head. As noted we sat by the window and at the time there were 4 other people in the place. The tables and chairs are the same as Othellos...carpet...same...small bar...darn similar...exposed brick...same...I think they painted the place.

The waitress was prompt and we ordered drinks...a Kilenny for me and a rasberry margerita for GF (don't ask). We ordered the vegiterian spring rolls with a sweet chilli dipping sauce and Antijitos. The spring rolls were deep fried from frozen and I swear I bought a package of them at Zehrs last week. The sauce reminded me of PC sweet Thai chilli sauce. Pretty sure it was. I like the stuff...at home. The second plate showed an edge to the place that was heading down the right path. A torilla rolled with a Jalapeno and cream cheese filling....you get 6 of them....on the side was a blob of sour cream, a green pesto of sorts and red pepper chutney sort of thing...You put a bit of each on the torilla thing and ate it. Not bad....except the pesto greens were not properly washed and were gritty.

Our service was prompt. I mentioned the gritty pesto...but the server said nothing further about it. All and all though service was fine.

This place will probably live on it dance bar and sports bar. Unless the other food on the menu on the main floor can blow you away then this is just way too much like the old Othellos...tired and needing restruant make-over in a major way.

We'll give it one more shot for a dinner.....

#3 2011-06-01 10:37:43

Green

Try the Prime Rib special on Saturday nights.  I thought it was a great.

#4 2011-08-11 16:39:29

logicisscary

Been there, done that.  at best I can give it a 5 out of 10.  Wasn't great, wasn't horrible.  Good low brow food.  Good beer though.

#5 2011-11-25 16:58:32

Green

I was in there the other day and the staff were saying the sports bar is just about ready to be opened.  I'm looking forward to checking it out!

I got this message today through Facebook:

NOW OPEN STRATFORD’S NEWEST SPORTS BAR!!!

LOCATED IN THE LOWER LEVEL OF 27 MARKET PLACE, BELOW BACKSTAGE BAR & GRILL, THIS 4200 SQ FT SPORTS BAR IS STRATFORDS PREMIERE VENUE FOR ALL THINGS IN THE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS!!!  WE FEATURE A DOZEN BIG SCREEN TV’S, 6 POOL TABLES, DARTS, FOOSBALL, AND MUCH MORE.

WITH A DIVERSE MENU THAT INCLUDES TRADITIONAL PUB FARE AND 13 BEERS ON DRAFT THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE.

WHATS THE NAME OF THE BAR YOU ASK???  GOOD QUESTION…..YOU TELL US!
WE WANT YOUR INPUT! FOR THE NEXT 4 WEEKS WE INVITE CUSTOMERS TO ENTER A SUBMISSION IN OUR SUGGESTION BOX.  THE WINNING SUBMISSION WILL RECEIVE A CASH PRIZE OF $200, ADDITOINAL GIFT CERTIFICATE PRIZES WILL BE ALSO BE AWARDED.

FOR MORE DETAILS CALL US AT: 519-305-8888

#6 2011-11-25 20:36:13

Steel

Green wrote:

I was in there the other day and the staff were saying the sports bar is just about ready to be opened.  I'm looking forward to checking it out!

I got this message today through Facebook:

NOW OPEN STRATFORD’S NEWEST SPORTS BAR!!!

LOCATED IN THE LOWER LEVEL OF 27 MARKET PLACE, BELOW BACKSTAGE BAR & GRILL, THIS 4200 SQ FT SPORTS BAR IS STRATFORDS PREMIERE VENUE FOR ALL THINGS IN THE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS!!!  WE FEATURE A DOZEN BIG SCREEN TV’S, 6 POOL TABLES, DARTS, FOOSBALL, AND MUCH MORE.

WITH A DIVERSE MENU THAT INCLUDES TRADITIONAL PUB FARE AND 13 BEERS ON DRAFT THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE.

WHATS THE NAME OF THE BAR YOU ASK???  GOOD QUESTION…..YOU TELL US!
WE WANT YOUR INPUT! FOR THE NEXT 4 WEEKS WE INVITE CUSTOMERS TO ENTER A SUBMISSION IN OUR SUGGESTION BOX.  THE WINNING SUBMISSION WILL RECEIVE A CASH PRIZE OF $200, ADDITOINAL GIFT CERTIFICATE PRIZES WILL BE ALSO BE AWARDED.

FOR MORE DETAILS CALL US AT: 519-305-8888

Thanks Green....we'll check it out

#7 2011-11-25 21:15:05

Cougs

Just not the same in the summer without the patio access...I used to send a LOT of people there who were looking for a great patio.
I really hope that someone takes over the other side and gets that opened for the summer.

#8 2013-12-30 14:35:06

Green

I hear a rooftop patio is coming in the Spring which sounds like a great idea and would be very unique.  Other renovations are underway aswell.

#9 2014-03-28 18:34:42

Steel

Back Stage is history....thank god.... "The Bard" is coming. They were at heart burn day and I spoke to the new owners....Steak and beer....apparently up to 50 on tap. We don't have a steak house in town so this could prove interesting.

....more to follow

#10 2014-04-29 09:45:51

Green

Whats the status with Bards? FB and its website say its coming in Spring.

#11 2014-05-07 11:12:30

Steel

Not sure Green....they were at Heart Burn Day and that's how I got the info. Coming in Spring....one wonders when that will happen as it still feels like winter...LOL

#12 2014-05-07 15:04:01

Green

saw a new sign up at the building the other day says Bards Coming Soon.

#13 2014-09-09 10:47:31

Green

Anyone know whats going on with Bards?

#14 2014-09-09 17:43:05

Steel

It really looks to me like a money issue. However I have heard they gutted the place entirely as an remnant of the old place(s) would cast a bad spell. he sign says opening soon but You never see anyone coming or gong and I guess their idea of soon is different than mine.

#15 2014-09-10 10:20:02

Green

They are on facebook posting occasionally showing updates.  Its clearly been a lengthly process.

Board footer