You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-08 12:01:56

Steel

Downie St. Burgers

This is the reincarnation of Pan Tapas. It is on the corner of Downie and George Streets.

The style and decor has remained almost unchanged since its transformation from Pan Tapas to a burger joint back in the fall of 2010. We went in and were seated promptly. The menu is what you would expect, burgers, fries, poutine, onion rings and a few selections of sandwiches that are in the chicken family. The build your own burger included the usual topping free of charge, lettuce, onion, ketchup, mustard etc etc. Then there was the stuff you pay for, bacon, cheese of different types, mushrooms, etc etc. The burger was priced reasonably, but the add on items were pricey.

GF opted for the Med burger with fries and the Downie Burger for me. The Med burger had feta, tomato and a basil tomato mayo. Mine had aged cheddar, chipolte mayo and a onion ring stack. Both came with a light soft bun. The burgers were both large thick patties and were quite good. Mine was $7.99 and I can't recall how much GF's was. You have to remember that that is the burger itself, nothing else. Fries, $2.50, onion rings $3.00. Both the fries and rings where good and plentiful.

So it sounds like all was good?....not so fast. The wine list is very limited. They had a wine "blend" Chardonay/Riesling/Gewürztraminer.....no doubt it was a German who had a thing against Chardonay and wanted to "improve" it. We settled on a Pinot Grigio. It was budget busting $9 a glass and not particularly good at that. The other wine was the same price. We had just bought a bottle perfectly good Pinot Grigio at the LCBO a few minutes ago for $10..and that was the whole bottle!!

When our order came, GF's was fine. Mine was wrong. The food deliverer person (no not the same person as took the order...I mean come on...the place is not big...was not busy and serves burgers...whats wrong with the waitress that took our order bringing our food??) questioned me as to my choice. Please, it was a plain burger with nothing on it...you think I could figure out that was not what I ordered and she could beleive me. She didn't and got the waiteress to confirm my finding. They disappear with my plate. A few minutes later she comes back with my Onion Rings on a plate and says it will be a few minutes and I can have these while i wait. I did...but really wanted the burger and O-rings together!

All and all the burgers are good, and the food in general was good. The wine was rediculously expensive and the service spoty. They survived the winter so they might just make it. We will go back and give them another shot, but this time we will skip the wine.

#2 2011-04-10 10:19:43

Blueline

Re: Downie St. Burgers

What? Restaurants mark-up wine that you can buy cheaper at the LCBO. Thanks for the great insight! smile

#3 2014-06-11 21:00:09

Stratfordian

The family had lunch there after seeing Alice Through the Looking Glass.  The girls shared a cheese and bacon burger, I had the Downie St. Burger and my wife had the special burger, can't recall exactly but something to do with mushrooms (blech...).  Great burgers, great fries, friendly service, wine was expensive but the beer is typically priced.  There is a wait while they make your burger but that means they're MAKING YOUR BURGER!  We enjoy it, the girls enjoy it and it's a bit upscale without being precious.

#4 2014-06-12 14:43:33

Steel

We did go back and it was Valentines Day actually. (sorry for the late review) Stratfordian post prompted me to recall the outing.

Of course we had not reserved anything anywhere....like hey this is Stratford in the middle of a never ending brutal winter why would anyone go out? Anyway we landed here and found they had a "locals special". Two basic burgers with fries and a pitcher of draft for a little less than $30. Not bad. You could add $2.50 and get any of their signature burgers.

We added the $2.50 and GF got a mushroom burger (unlike Stratfordian I like Mushrooms) and she said it was quite good. I got a goat chesse and bacon combination that was very good as well. The fries were good and thr Sapporo beer hit the spot. Bill with tax and tip a bit more than $40 for the two of us.

Saw Stratfordian's post elsewhere that said they are closed for lunch until June 28th.....whats up with that?.....thousands of college and high school kids in town everyday and you think you can't sell them a burger or two?

#5 2014-06-16 12:43:19

Stratfordian

Steel,

my other post was about "Down the Street" being closed for lunch till 28 June.  I haven't checked it just now, I hope I didn't mistakenly reference Downie St. Burgers!

#6 2014-06-17 13:31:16

Steel

ah yes that was Down the Street (mixed up for Down ie Street)....and yes Susan at Down the Street can be a little odd at times

Board footer