You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-15 08:59:08

Steel

New subdivision

As most of us know the large sign at the end of McCarthy announced the coming of a new subdivision. The article in the paper made it somewhat more offical last night.

70 odd single family houses and 40 some townhouses. The subdivision developer already has a buyer for the development of the townhouses. Although the land is within the city it is still zoned argicultural. The official plan has it set to revert to mixed residential. So it should be a no brainer.

The development fees will apparently cover most of the cost of the extension of McCarthy...something that is long over due.

Of course the locals are already chiming in. Some say Forman ave when connected to McCarthy will be come like Devon St. as Foreman will now allow you to go from the north of thr city to the south.....sorry hows that? Foreman ends a few blocks south of Huron street! One wonders if the residents of Foreman noticed the 2 very large buildings on their street and the few thousand people that use them everyday? The developer already stated that Foreman will be blocked until the city completes McCarthy.

Wanna bet....this is going to the OMB.

#2 2010-10-15 12:31:48

scooter
Administrator

Re: New subdivision

It's definitely time for a light or four way stop where McCarthy hits hwy 19.  A car can wait a *long* time there if he or she is hoping to make a left turn from McCarthy...which is starting to cause some risky moves just for cars to get out. 

This may be limited to Saturday mornings (when the market is on) but I've seen some other really busy days of the week as well.

#3 2010-10-15 13:44:31

Steel

I tried to go left on to Mornington a few night ago at about 7:30pm....if there was ever an advertisment for a traffic light....that was it.

#4 2010-10-15 14:10:07

rankinfile

No Steel, I don't think this will go to the OMB.

The City will not object to this new residential development--it is consistent with the OP which was just passed in the last couple of years.

I do not believe that any of the complainers on Forman are present or future Councillors--hence it is not like the last time when the downtown merchants had a number of them in their pocket.

You are quite correct--Forman presently has significant traffic from the high schools---will a connecting road result in a significant new increase in traffic?  I suspect it will until McCarthy is connected to O'Loane at which time traffic flow should decrease on Forman.  In fact, if they do not restrict a connection on Forman  north of the water tower to McCarthy, I suspect Foreman traffic to the south will actually decrease, as traffic heads north and east and not south and east on Hibernia or Huron.

Hopefully they will put in a traffic circle at either /or both of the intersection of Forman and McCarthy and McCarthy and O'Loane.

And for Gods sake--include a bike path on any future design work on McCarthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 2010-10-15 14:19:36

rankinfile

scooter wrote:

It's definitely time for a light or four way stop where McCarthy hits hwy 19.  A car can wait a *long* time there if he or she is hoping to make a left turn from McCarthy...which is starting to cause some risky moves just for cars to get out. 

This may be limited to Saturday mornings (when the market is on) but I've seen some other really busy days of the week as well.

Scooter--I live in that end of town.  Most times, it only takes less than 30 seconds to cross Mornington, so in most cases, a stop light will be more of an impediment.  With the exception of Saturday mornings, or Hockey night in Stratford, or a "complex" event.  Then I agree -- it can be a pain.

With the opening of McCarthy east bound from Romeo, this traffic congestion will increase., as will the backups at Romeo. 

When Foreman connects to McCarthy and certainly when McCarthy reaches O'Loane--there is no question--a traffic light WILL be required.

#6 2010-10-16 17:10:51

CommonMan

Traffic circle time.  They seem to work well in KW.

Shop Local-Live Local-avoid Big Box stores at all cost-be a true Stratford citizen.  Its worth it!

#7 2010-10-17 10:33:45

spankie

My big question is who's going to live in all these new houses?? I don't see Stratfords housing  market being that hot or are we going to import more old people to town? Which then begs the question of who's going to service their needs when they out number those people who actually do the work of providing them services.

ie not enough young people in proportion to old folks.

#8 2010-10-17 11:33:04

rankinfile

spankie wrote:

My big question is who's going to live in all these new houses?? I don't see Stratfords housing  market being that hot or are we going to import more old people to town? Which then begs the question of who's going to service their needs when they out number those people who actually do the work of providing them services.

ie not enough young people in proportion to old folks.

Well, I think youve answered your own question Spankie.  If we need more people to "service their needs", then we will need to import more people to do the work to "service their needs".  These could well be in the private sector area (I'm not sure what 'needs' you envision lacking servicing) - or heaven forbid, additional loading in the public sector., which unfortunately will increase the load on the tax base--but with new housing, more taxes---not sure that this spiral is downward.

Their might be commercial opportunities to fill some of the empty retail spaces with old fogie stores downtown, create more delivery services for those that need door to door delivery of old people needs and services....job opportunities abound.  Perhaps Bulldog could set up a shop to soup up some of the old fogie powered go carts,....that would use the bike lanes...which don't yet exist...I digress...

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for you to dust off your entrepreneurial hat?  "I've fallen and I can't get up"---'Call Spank-me-now'!!!!

#9 2010-10-17 12:50:29

bulldog

i was pondering these very questions with other amateur proffessors last evening.....we thought that these new subdivisions would be approximately 50 percent filled with retired immigrants from other jurisdictions such as toronto looking for bungalows and a nice relaxed small city with little wifi radiation  (oops,,, looks like we failed that one).   you see they have bad hips,,,, knees and lungs (breathing smog) and the bungalow is obsolete in the Greater Toronto Area.....

Our foreign mayoral candidate who is deathly afeard of wifi radiation is a retired police officer from toronto....  he fits the mold of big city retirees who can sell their GTA houses for gazillions of dollars and cash out  (its like winning the lottery)................and then after they arrive they can point out every problem that stratford has....and say "thats not how we do it in toronto!"

the other 50 percent are working families indentured to the bank for 35 percent or so of their net income...............they have the dream of raising their kids and paying off their mortgages and car loans so that they can also retire some day..........

i have been thinking that when and if i ever need a motorized wheel chair to get around,,,,i would indeed hop it up.....i think that would be awsome to see one of those contraptions going down ontario street at 100 kms per hours.......

and of course to service their needs,,,, more so than what we have now,,,, would fall upon our future walmart..............................

#10 2010-10-17 16:03:46

rankinfile

Ah yes, the fresh air.  Shortly after we moved here, the better half requested I check under the car.."You must have run over something!"  No apparent improvement even after a car wash.

Did not take long to recognize...."oh geeze, they've 'done the fields again'"!!!

Welcome to the centre of the pork universe.

#11 2010-10-17 22:14:36

bulldog

i love the smell of perth county in the morning................

#12 2010-10-18 08:35:39

Steel

Everyone questions who was ever going to live in Queensland subdivision when it was being built.

They asked the same thing when Jenanne (where did they come up with the name?) was started. Now only a handfull of lots are left.

We could ask the same of Avonwest and Coventry.....but frankly it is a good sign....it does show that the economy here in our little city is alive and kicking. If no one was building houses at all (like Windsor as an example) then I think there would be need for worry.

#13 2010-10-18 09:37:48

spankie

I just thinking about the new subdivision off of the end of Romeo St., the one on O'Laone and now this new one. That's got to be well over 150 new houses. Didn't think Stratford was growing that much except as maybe a retirement mecca.

#14 2010-10-18 15:35:08

Steel

spankie wrote:

I just thinking about the new subdivision off of the end of Romeo St., the one on O'Laone and now this new one. That's got to be well over 150 new houses. Didn't think Stratford was growing that much except as maybe a retirement mecca.

According to a local broker stratford fairly easily absorbs about 75 to 100 new builds per year and has been doing so for some years. It has also been accelerating over the past number of years. Yes you are right I forgot about the Vivian street subdivision...yet another good example.

I know spanks you are obsessed with the whole returment "meca" thing and the lack of very and highly specific jobs in your field....but look at it this way. The retirees that have moved here have brought a fair amount of wealth as evidenced by the sorts of places they are building and buying. Downtown continues to thrive, dispite what you say, new industry is setting up shop and old ones are expanding. (RBC, a several auto parts plants, Dyna-mig, the University, Magest, and the plastics company on Lorne ave) to name just a few off the top of my head.

Strangely enough this means people are coming here, both to retire (which isn't a bad thing at all) and also to work which of course is excellent. I know you are a bottle half empty and tink it is draining sort of guy....but I am a bottle half full and doing my best to see it continue to fill.

Companies are committing millions of dollars to the city and building houses and twonhoues and condos....how on earth can that be a bad thing?

#15 2012-11-17 08:38:38

scooter
Administrator

Is that a traffic light being constructed at McCarthy and 19?

Board footer