You are not logged in.

#31 2010-11-26 21:11:47

bulldog

Re: Next Steps for Cooper Site

oh crap,,,,i was going to launch a protest.............

#32 2010-11-27 20:58:23

spankie

No more studies, no more crap, no more money spent on this stupidness. Tear the sucker down.

#33 2011-01-26 00:56:47

mr.nelson

Stupidness is getting spent this week!

Take a Drive by,and see the-------
Highhoes, Flatbeds, and least 8 or more 40 ft dump trucks and trailers are
Hauling to Lawrences 300 acre farm, at the expense of you the taxpayers.

Their moving the vehicles, belongings and everything that was stored on site like the crushed stone, cement blocks, cinder blocks even the huge crane still hangin in the back shop. Which will be removed and relocated by Leyser,

They stored all the stuff here for a year and made the arrangements
(from the expropriation agreement) to relocate & pay all costs for Lawrences belongings.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#34 2011-01-26 11:05:09

spankie

Give me a break. No wonder this town is broke. Dealling with all this stupid crap all the time. When will this town ever smarten up.

#35 2011-01-26 11:19:27

Steel

mr.nelson wrote:

Stupidness is getting spent this week!

Take a Drive by,and see the-------
Highhoes, Flatbeds, and least 8 or more 40 ft dump trucks and trailers are
Hauling to Lawrences 300 acre farm, at the expense of you the taxpayers.

Their moving the vehicles, belongings and everything that was stored on site like the crushed stone, cement blocks, cinder blocks even the huge crane still hangin in the back shop. Which will be removed and relocated by Leyser,

They stored all the stuff here for a year and made the arrangements
(from the expropriation agreement) to relocate & pay all costs for Lawrences belongings.

Larry wanted all this on his farm and we are going to give it to him. Best of luck with it Larry. Can't wait to hear what your neighbors think of this hair brained scheme of yours.

In the end Larry will realize he made a mistake as the county and province swoops in and want to renegotiate the stuff being moved to his farm. What I would say to that is ....tough beans....enjoy the rubble.

#36 2011-01-27 14:05:23

mr.nelson

Cost for moving Ryan's stuff under $100K
By LAURA CUDWORTH

Property belonging to Lawrence Ryan, former owner of what was once the Cooper site, is being packed up and hauled out.

The items will be moved to his residence in Alvinston at the city's expense.

"It is underway," confirmed chief admininstrator Ron Shaw. "It's a requirement under the Expropriations Act."

The cost will be less than $100,000, Shaw said.

The cleanup started Tuesday, but Shaw couldn't say how long it would take to complete.

Meanwhile, the new parking lot on the property is completed and the University of Waterloo is working on its design plans for the satellite campus here.

"We expect to be breaking ground this summer, we're confident of that," Shaw said.

After expropriating the land, the city paid Ryan $4.5 million so the university campus could be constructed there.

Once the building is cleared out, it will remain standing pending a heritage review. That report is expected to be complete in late spring.

"We won't know what the next step is until we get the report," Shaw said.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#37 2011-01-27 18:30:50

bulldog

i am going on the basis that most of this stuff is scrap and junk so we are probably saving valuable landfill costs.............

#38 2011-01-27 19:59:01

Steel

bulldog wrote:

i am going on the basis that most of this stuff is scrap and junk so we are probably saving valuable landfill costs.............

Yup....agreed. In the end all this trash will show up on Larry's farm and the county and province will swoop in and make him deal with it. No doubt there will be the usual Larry hew and cry about how hard done be he is and how he is the only one in the country that doesn't need a permit for dump....because of course its not a dump....it is a restoration.

#39 2011-02-26 00:35:34

mr.nelson

Students set to tackle rail site
By DONAL O'CONNOR

Politicians were notably absent, but a dozen or so Fanshawe College students took in a lesson in local history Thursday and soaked up some ideas for redesign of the old Grand Trunk/ CNR site.

The Integrated Land Planning students plan to return in April with a "preferred plan" for the 6.9-hectare property and to present a couple of alternatives as well.

Prof. Ben Billings expressed disappointment that more stakeholders didn't show for the city hall discussion, but students heard at some length from members of an ad hoc CNR site heritage committee and from architectural conservation advocate Thor Dingman.

Ron Latham, a member of the ad hoc group, presented ideas for the property recently presented to heritage consultant Christopher Borgal, who is doing a heritage review of the site.

Included in the group's recommendation is that two of 32 remaining bays in the former railway repair shop be retained for heritage use -- possibly to house a steam engine and wall mural, model railway and other uses that include a tourism centre.

"We want to see something more than just a provincial plaque," said Latham, who suggested there's been a lack of overall planning for the property.

Dingman, for his part, outlined the recent history of the site, including plans for film studios that have fallen through.

He told students the city had never really asked "the heritage question" and said he is still trying to push the city to undertake a full heritage assessment.

"We need to use these (planning) tools and just follow the process," he advised.

Dingman recalled that back in 1989, then-city planner Warren Hastings was asking the question, but the city never followed through. A negligent landlord later on didn't help the situation, he suggested.

Students looked at the building yesterday morning, but were not permitted to enter the deteriorated structure. Dingman, however, recalled his first walkthrough.

"It's a moving experience to walk into this massive iron. I call it a cathedral," he said. "There are some very interesting esthetic possibilities, I think, on the interior."

He suggested students look at the heritage value of the site and decide if that's significant or not, then make a judgment on how much of the on-site building to preserve.

Dingman, a designer and heritage consultant, acknowledged some just see the site as a brownfield to be cleaned up.

Rob Brown raised the real-world question of costs that would be connected with whatever is done with the building and with the rest of the sprawling site, but was informed students aren't working with a budget on their project.

Ian Taylor, a member of he ad hoc group who described himself as "a bit of a historian and a railway nut," acknowledged "Most people in Stratford would be quite happy to see it (the old shops) torn down."

Students heard as well from a nearby resident who termed her everyday view "a most depressing sight."

Billings, co-ordinator of the student project with Prof. Eli Paddle, said the building is just one aspect of the site. Students will be looking at a plan for the entire area, he said.

In an overview of the academic project, students Alex Straiton and Jamie Scott cited project goals that included beautification of the downtown, connectivity between public and private uses, improving the natural environment and creating a walkable neighbourhood.

Among ideas thrown around for consideration were a transit terminal, parking, parkland, public housing and even an urban vegetable garden.

Connecting the area in some way with plans for Market Square was also mentioned and there was of course acknowledgment of the University of Waterloo presence on the site.

"The exterior of the building is terrible, but you have to look past that," Allan Waddington said following the discussion.

Article ID# 2995318

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#40 2011-02-26 01:33:13

bulldog

""The exterior of the building is terrible, but you have to look past that," Allan Waddington said following the discussion."

i think this is the key,,,,,,,the building is terrible,,,,inside and out,,,,,it did its job and now it is in a state of being unsafe and not fit for man nor beast to be in there............

sometimes things just have to die so that the new can be born.............

#41 2011-04-07 00:54:39

mr.nelson

Ryan wants expropriated land back
By JOHN KASTNER, Managing Editor
Posted 6 hours ago

Lawrence Ryan wants the Cooper site back.

The sprawling downtown property bordered by St. Patrick, Cooper and St. David Sts. was expropriated by the city just over a year ago.

Part of the city's rationale for the expropriation was to fulfil a commitment of land to the University of Waterloo for the Stratford campus.

However, in a letter dated March 18 to a lawyer for the municipality, Ryan's lawyer states that because the city is giving a reduced portion of the property to the university, he would like it back.

He also wants the buildings on the property to remain intact.

"Given the substantial reduction of the University land requirements to a maximum of 8 acres from that originally proposed, coupled with the corresponding lack of need for the remaining lands for the University, we ask the City to abide by the Expropriation Act and accordingly issue the required notices of abandonment and disposition under section 41," stated a letter from John S. Doherty, a partner with Gowlings Law Firm.

The letter was sent to Chris Williams, a lawyer for the firm Aird and Berlis, which represents the city.

Mayor Dan Mathieson said it was always the intent for the city to deliver its commitment of property in stages.

"The agreement with the university was that we were to make eight acres available. In as much as they have taken 1.6 acres there is still 6.4 acres available at a later date to fulfill the commitment," said Mathieson.

The letter from Ryan's lawyer to the city also pointed to the possibility of other uses of the land as a reason for it to be returned to Ryan.

"We also note that the City has discussed selling or leasing lands to the YMCA or other organizations or private enterprises and remind the City as to our clients' rights pursuant to s.42 of the Act to be offered the first opportunity to reacquire the lands which our client will insist be complied with," said the final paragraph of the letter to Aird and Berlis.

In a Feb. 11, 2010 story in The Beacon Herald, Stratford CAO Ron Shaw talked openly about the possibility, long-term, of the Stratford Family Y or the Stratford Public Library being located on the Cooper site.

There were also drawings which showed potential locations for the Y and the library.

Mathieson stated it was never the intention to turn the entire property over to the University of Waterloo Stratford and that other uses were always part of the plan.

"The reason for expropriation, from the outset was economic development," said the mayor. "That has not changed."

The city took possession of the property from Ryan and the numbered company 1353837 for a $4.5-million interim payment plus another $210,000 in legal and relocation costs.

There was no suggestion in the letter to the city as to what would happen to that money should Ryan be successful in re-acquiring the property.

Inquiries to Ryan were referred to his lawyer. A call was placed to his lawyer but there was no response by deadline.

jkastner@bowesnet.com

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#42 2011-04-07 12:02:02

Steel

mr.nelson wrote:

Ryan wants expropriated land back
By JOHN KASTNER, Managing Editor
Posted 6 hours ago

Lawrence Ryan wants the Cooper site back.

The sprawling downtown property bordered by St. Patrick, Cooper and St. David Sts. was expropriated by the city just over a year ago.

Part of the city's rationale for the expropriation was to fulfil a commitment of land to the University of Waterloo for the Stratford campus.

However, in a letter dated March 18 to a lawyer for the municipality, Ryan's lawyer states that because the city is giving a reduced portion of the property to the university, he would like it back.

He also wants the buildings on the property to remain intact.

"Given the substantial reduction of the University land requirements to a maximum of 8 acres from that originally proposed, coupled with the corresponding lack of need for the remaining lands for the University, we ask the City to abide by the Expropriation Act and accordingly issue the required notices of abandonment and disposition under section 41," stated a letter from John S. Doherty, a partner with Gowlings Law Firm.

The letter was sent to Chris Williams, a lawyer for the firm Aird and Berlis, which represents the city.

Mayor Dan Mathieson said it was always the intent for the city to deliver its commitment of property in stages.

"The agreement with the university was that we were to make eight acres available. In as much as they have taken 1.6 acres there is still 6.4 acres available at a later date to fulfill the commitment," said Mathieson.

The letter from Ryan's lawyer to the city also pointed to the possibility of other uses of the land as a reason for it to be returned to Ryan.

"We also note that the City has discussed selling or leasing lands to the YMCA or other organizations or private enterprises and remind the City as to our clients' rights pursuant to s.42 of the Act to be offered the first opportunity to reacquire the lands which our client will insist be complied with," said the final paragraph of the letter to Aird and Berlis.

In a Feb. 11, 2010 story in The Beacon Herald, Stratford CAO Ron Shaw talked openly about the possibility, long-term, of the Stratford Family Y or the Stratford Public Library being located on the Cooper site.

There were also drawings which showed potential locations for the Y and the library.

Mathieson stated it was never the intention to turn the entire property over to the University of Waterloo Stratford and that other uses were always part of the plan.

"The reason for expropriation, from the outset was economic development," said the mayor. "That has not changed."

The city took possession of the property from Ryan and the numbered company 1353837 for a $4.5-million interim payment plus another $210,000 in legal and relocation costs.

There was no suggestion in the letter to the city as to what would happen to that money should Ryan be successful in re-acquiring the property.

Inquiries to Ryan were referred to his lawyer. A call was placed to his lawyer but there was no response by deadline.

jkastner@bowesnet.com

No problem Larry....you are welcome to buy it back...less the acreage noted for the University.

Of course Larry...due to the noted improvements to the property and the agreement to build a university the value of the City owned land has increased significantly. The remaining acreage is $15.75 million, includes the ruined building and will require a development plan, site agreement, evidence of ability to perform (ie Finance) and of course a performance bond.

Do that you are welcome to buy it back.

#43 2011-04-07 13:14:40

rankinfile

Steel wrote:

No problem Larry....you are welcome to buy it back...less the acreage noted for the University.

Of course Larry...due to the noted improvements to the property and the agreement to build a university the value of the City owned land has increased significantly. The remaining acreage is $15.75 million, includes the ruined building and will require a development plan, site agreement, evidence of ability to perform (ie Finance) and of course a performance bond.

No, no, no....you guys don't understand---I don't need no stinking prmits, let alone plans.....I'm just restoing the same building, same foot print.  What is wrong with yous guys....

And I was going to argue that the value of the property yous guys took from me was $25M  and you only gave me $4.5M...so even if you think it is now worth $15.75M....I'll take the property back as is and you can then only owe me another $4.5M.

I've got GREAT plans----the City can pay to build the library, the police station, a new bus terminal and the YMCA, and a court house....I'll be happy to work with yous guys and help improve the City.....

"Larry"

#44 2011-04-07 17:32:47

Steel

rankinfile wrote:

Steel wrote:

No, no, no....you guys don't understand---I don't need no stinking prmits, let alone plans.....I'm just restoing the same building, same foot print.  What is wrong with yous guys....

And I was going to argue that the value of the property yous guys took from me was $25M  and you only gave me $4.5M...so even if you think it is now worth $15.75M....I'll take the property back as is and you can then only owe me another $4.5M.

I've got GREAT plans----the City can pay to build the library, the police station, a new bus terminal and the YMCA, and a court house....I'll be happy to work with yous guys and help improve the City.....

"Larry"

Weses....aint buyin what you are attemptin to exort....

#45 2011-04-11 02:02:26

bulldog

sun media must be cutting staff as the managing editor is writing the article......................

larry,,,larry,,,,larry...................

come on man,,,its time to ride off into the sunset...............

Board footer