Green

Re: Next Steps for Cooper Site

old Empire?

#17 2010-02-22 17:44:41

Steel

Green wrote:

old Empire?

The old Empire Hotel.....perhaps before your time.

#18 2010-02-23 10:55:57

spankie

Across the corner from the YCMA.

#19 2010-10-23 12:01:23

Steel

I must admit that I had a very wide smile on my face as I drove down downie st. late yesterday.

Equipment leveling the pad for the new university building and the infrastructure going in. then a little further along you can see them demolishing the first part ofthe old building....the one with the collapsed roof.

Delightful to see.

#20 2010-10-23 16:24:23

CommonMan

YEah.... if you could see me you see a really bad dancing white guy, dancing for joy....

Shop Local-Live Local-avoid Big Box stores at all cost-be a true Stratford citizen.  Its worth it!

#21 2010-10-29 23:54:06

mr.nelson

I See that Ryan and the city are back in court this week from 26 to 29 who know's what will happen at the site? I guess only time will tell.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#22 2010-10-30 08:17:58

Steel

mr.nelson wrote:

I See that Ryan and the city are back in court this week from 26 to 29 who know's what will happen at the site? I guess only time will tell.

Can't wait Neilson....hopefully judge tosses larry's sorry ass out and we get on with some real development.

#23 2010-10-30 12:05:50

spankie

Larry should be banned from Stratford Period!!

#24 2010-11-24 23:02:25

mr.nelson

Heritage value examined 
By DONAL O'CONNOR

The consultant hired by city hall to conduct a public process on the heritage value and possible reuse of the former Grand Trunk Railway building has outlined a process to culminate with a report to city council.

Council accepted the consultation plan from Christopher Borgal of Goldsmith Borgal & Co. Ltd. Architects at Monday's council meeting.
The cost, including the report on the consultant's findings and his recommendations, is pegged at $13,030.
The consultant will initially meet with Mayor Dan Mathieson, CAO Ron Shaw and legal counsel to outline site issues and the public process going forward.
A meeting will also be held with advocates of heritage preservation, including Thor Dingman and Michael Wilson and the chair of Heritage Stratford, prior to involving other interested parties such as the City Centre Committee and University of Waterloo.
An open house with illustrative boards will seek further public input.
The meetings, likely over two days, are proposed for the new year at dates yet to be decided.
The process, says the written proposal from the consultant, "will enable the heritage experts, the heritage committee and the general community to be canvassed in a thorough manner for ideas and to present the issues before these various interest groups."
Coun. Dave Gaffney said it looked as if just two people needed to be satisfied, but Coun. Bonnie Henderson supported the public consultation process.
"If we just went ahead and had a study and it comes back and says there's no heritage value, then I think people in this city would feel like they did get a chance to speak on it," she said. "I notice a lot of people feeling both ways on this."
Coun. Paul Nickel wanted assurance any report from the consultant would be respected by heritage groups.
"I can assure you that Borgal is well respected in the heritage community," Shaw said.

It will be council's decision after Borgal's report is received whether to proceed with a heritage study of the former locomotive repair building.
Borgal has been project architect for some 600 projects including more than 30 museums and churches.
Past president of the Ontario Heritage Conservancy and a member since 1980, he has been a consultant and redevelopment architect for government projects across Canada. Borgal specializes in the restoration of historic buildings. His work has included designs for the use of museums, federal buildings, churches, multiple and single housing, galleries, theatres, libraries, offices and a lighthouse.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#25 2010-11-25 09:33:20

rankinfile

Hmmm....  $13K for a consultant to advise how they (we) will get together and consider if it is necessary to THEN proceed ..." It will be council's decision after Borgal's report is received whether to proceed with a heritage study of the former locomotive repair building."

Study the process to determine if we should in fact study the need to review the need to consider saving the site!!

It was exciting to see the demolition of the east end of the building---took what, 3 days.   Now they have spent almost 3 weeks adding structural support to the building and covering the hole with some nice looking siding.   Too bad they did not just continue the demolition.

But we must be seen to be fair and consultive of all ideas!!!!

Perhaps, just perhaps the new council should bite the bullet and make a decison.....

#26 2010-11-25 10:06:52

Green

bring it down!

#27 2010-11-25 11:40:44

Steel

rankinfile wrote:

Hmmm....  $13K for a consultant to advise how they (we) will get together and consider if it is necessary to THEN proceed ..." It will be council's decision after Borgal's report is received whether to proceed with a heritage study of the former locomotive repair building."

Study the process to determine if we should in fact study the need to review the need to consider saving the site!!

It was exciting to see the demolition of the east end of the building---took what, 3 days.   Now they have spent almost 3 weeks adding structural support to the building and covering the hole with some nice looking siding.   Too bad they did not just continue the demolition.

But we must be seen to be fair and consultive of all ideas!!!!

Perhaps, just perhaps the new council should bite the bullet and make a decison.....

Rank....this is a prudent step. The heritage nuts are crying for a study that could cost well into the 100;s of thousands of dollars or more. I think it is wise to see if there is really anything to study....the report could come back stating the building is really too far gone, too big, too ugly, too toxic or anyone of a number of things to even consider studying. Which would of course be a good thing.

I have the feeling that if that is the case, then the city will not opt for a study and will begin to take it down right away.

#28 2010-11-25 11:56:49

rankinfile

We can prey that indeed this is a cost effective method of "covering assess".  One would hope that the report is not effectively 'mamby pamby' and that such a landmark decision can be made to avoid increasing employment prospects for further heritage consultants.  I'm sure there will be those who want further heritage studies, but.......let sanity prevail.  I trust the consultants have been given appropriate guidance.

#29 2010-11-25 23:29:49

bulldog

the only  way i can support a study on coopergate is if the 7-11 on huron street gets a heritage study as well........................

#30 2010-11-26 16:40:11

Steel

bulldog wrote:

the only  way i can support a study on coopergate is if the 7-11 on huron street gets a heritage study as well........................

Can't....they already torn it down

Board footer