You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-05 18:40:19

Steel

Fellini's

Fellini's is located about mid block Ontario street between Waterloo and Downie streets on the south side.

This was the original location of the former and much loved Jester Arms. The lay out of the inside, with the exception of the large bar is much the same. Kitchen half way down on the left, tables at the front, booth opposite the kitchen and tables in the rear. The decor is a redo of the Jester impersonating as an Italian place.

We had heard a lot of negatives about the food in this place and very few positives so we thought we would try it out for ourselves. Needless to say it will be the last time we ever set foot in the establishment.

We were greeted at the hostess stand and shown to a booth opposite the Kitchen. The table was not clean and neither were the seats. The waitress gave the table a wipe. The area near the pass through into the kitchen was a mass of plates, cups, bread, bread crumps and a chunk of what looked like parmisan cheese. The carpet was badly soiled. Frankly it was a mess.

I ordered the Fusilli Venezia...in a pesto cream sauce with grilled chicken. GF ordered Penne Fellini in a basil tomato sauce with grilled chicken. This was billed as a house specialty. GF ordered a Ceasar to start and I asked for the Calamari.

Starters came and the Ceasar was really poor. Huge chunks of romain that could not be eaten without cutting them and what really tasted like a cheap oily store bought dressing. The calamri was among the toughest i have every tasted. I didn't finish it.

My chicken pasta....well the chicken must have just ran throught it because I realized after eating for a few minutes that I couldn't find any chicken!...in the end there were probably two or three small sliveres of something that resembled chicken. The pasta was grossly over cooked and was bordering closely on the paste like consistancy you get when you leave your kid's KD on the stove 5 minutes too long. GF's pasta was no better. Her chicken...said to be grilled was the frozen stuff you can buy at Costco (no slight against Costco by the way as many of their products are quite good) with the fake grill marks on it. The sauce was enough to gag on.

The wine was a chanti...and was a little warm but fine for what it was. After all it wasn't made on site!

Service was ok. Yet you couldn't help feel that the waitress knew the stuff coming out of the kitchen was not great at all.

This place only stays in business in my opinion based on the tourist trade in the summer. They (the tourists) know no better and stop in there and blow $50 or $60 on lunch and move on. Our tab for the evening was about $65.

Sorry Fellini's....but even jumping through hoops isn't likely to improve things. This was unfortunately very poor italian food.

#2 2008-06-07 00:00:23

Printer

Re: Fellini's

Steel, I was a little surprised by your review. Although I frequent Fellini's more often at lunch than dinner I have always found the food quite good and the service very attentive.

I'm certainly not disputing anything you've written, just adding my thoughts on the place.

#3 2008-06-08 11:55:29

Steel

Perhaps lunch is better and perhaps we got the place on a bad day

#4 2014-06-23 17:24:44

Steel

Returned to Fellini last Friday. Took GF's Son and GF was out of town.

They had a special on pork related dishes in honor of pig week in Stratford. I ordered a pork belly app and a Rigatoni with Chorizo Sausage and a light tomato, red onion and spinach sauce. GFS ordered the Bacon wrapped Scallops as an app and the Linguini carbonara as the main.

Both of us raved about the apps. The pork belly was perfectly seared and melt in your mouth...wonderful stuff. The Scallops (3) were true diver scallops and huge...nicely presented and perfectly cooked.

The mains.....the Linguini had far too much red onion in it...so much so it just plain ruined the dish. Mine was sort of tasteless. I left about 25% of it on the plate.

Just to keep things in the family when we finished at Fellinis we walk over to Mercer Hall (same owner) and had a couple of drinks. Going to have to try that place for food next. I do like th reno they did....hopefully the food lives up to it.

#5 2014-06-23 21:18:06

Stratfordian

Steel,  FYI, Mercer Hall inn is not owned by Fellini's or its owner.  In fact, the partnership split some time ago when Mercer's was still Tango's. 

Without situating your estimate, my wife and I have been to Mercer's twice, and it was beyond excellent both times.  Hopefully you enjoy it too.  At times they have 'nosh' only, think tapas style, other times full meals.

Last Hallowe'en they had themed cocktails, amusingly delicious.

#6 2014-06-25 07:53:05

Cougs

I have never enjoyed Fellinis, although others rave about it. I've been twice, and have never left happy about the food.
I prefer Pazzo, by far. To each their own.

(and, as Stratfordian said, Fellinis and Mercer do not have the same owners).

#7 2014-06-26 14:45:01

Steel

Stratfordian wrote:

Steel,  FYI, Mercer Hall inn is not owned by Fellini's or its owner.  In fact, the partnership split some time ago when Mercer's was still Tango's. 

Without situating your estimate, my wife and I have been to Mercer's twice, and it was beyond excellent both times.  Hopefully you enjoy it too.  At times they have 'nosh' only, think tapas style, other times full meals.

Last Hallowe'en they had themed cocktails, amusingly delicious.

Incorrect Stratfordian. The principal owner of Mercer Hall formerly Tango is still the principal owner and also the owner of Fellini's. Spoke with him personally today.

Board footer