You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-20 00:21:02

mr.nelson

Stratford enter into a Contribution Agreement with Wal-Mart

Corporation of the City of Stratford enter into a Contribution Agreement with Wal-Mart Canada Corp., with respect to the development of Market Square and an Escrow Agreement with Wal-Mart Canada Corp., and Goodmans LLP with respect to the contribution to the City by Wal-Mart Canada Corp.

http://www.city.stratford.on.ca/documen … 202013.pdf

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#2 2013-03-20 08:06:25

Steel

Re: Stratford enter into a Contribution Agreement with Wal-Mart

Interesting turn of events...."big evil company" as City Centre and many residents see them, is going to contribute to the development of Market Square. By doing it through a trust mangaged by Goodmans they have chosen well as there is transparency to the whole thing.

So given the long long list of proposals and the continuing desire to do something with that area by many in the City and most notably those in city center, will this spark similiar contributions from other "big" businesses in the City or from City Center businesses themselves?

I doubt it.

#3 2013-03-20 14:26:14

rankinfile

Perhaps the big W is not the big bad corporation after all.  I wonder how much $$$$ they have put into the pot to be used for the Market Square.

I hope this was their idea and not a blackmail stunt by the City in order to get the building permits issued.  It has certainly taken them long enough to get the work started.  I think they have dug up and replaced the soil on the site at least twice.  I guess it did not have the required compaction levels.

The way Target is gutting the Zellers store--Target may get their building done first.

#4 2013-03-20 18:41:37

mr.nelson

Donation aimed at Market Square redevelopment    

By Donal O'Connor, The Beacon Herald

In a gesture of goodwill, Walmart Canada is handing the City of Stratford $1.25 million for the revamping of Market Square.

The agreement with the giant corporation, swiftly approved by city council Wednesday, gives the city a seven-year window of opportunity to use the funding and goes a long way towards the municipality's recovery of well over $1 million in costs related to the protracted legal battle between Avonwood Shopping Centres Ltd. and the municipality several months ago.

The agreement recognizes the municipality incurred “significant costs” in connection with the Ontario Municipal Board hearing in which Avonwood challenged the city's planning policy on behalf of Walmart.

“[A]s a future member of the Stratford community, Walmart desires to contribute to the community through assisting the city in the development of Market Square ...” it says in part.

Mayor Dan Mathieson welcomed the pact, pointing out in an interview the company was under no obligation to fork over anything after the city lost its appeal for costs before the OMB.

“We didn't take that (OMB decision) as a no,” said Mathieson. “We continued to have discussions with Walmart.”

The retailer's funding commitment towards the redevelopment of Market Square is good for a seven-year period and Mathieson said it will allow the city to properly consult with the community and plan the project without taking on additional debt.

What to do about current services -- parking and City Transit -- in the space behind city hall needs to be worked out.

There's also more than $2 million in underground infrastructure replacement work that has to be scheduled prior to above ground redevelopment.

The sesquicentennial committee which last met in February cited Market Square renewal as its priority, noted Mathieson.

The 150th anniversary of Confederation comes up in 2017 and that's a target for having at least some of the work done.

The funding agreement includes a commitment by the city to recognize the Walmart donation with a plaque at a mutually acceptable location within the civic square but the municipality has exclusive control over naming the project and there'll be no permanent retailer advertising in the public space.

Walmart did not immediately respond to a request for an interview.

The company gift is to be held in trust by the law firm Goodmans LLP until the municipality is ready to make use of it for the project, which could unfold in phases.

Mathieson cited the possibility of Federal Government funding for sesquicentennial projects, funding that could be used to complement the Walmart donation.

The project will transform what is now a transit hub and parking area into a space that can be used year-round, attracting residents, visitors and increased business, the city said in a release.

Although Avonwood/Walmart lost the legal contest with the city over the municipality's planning policy before the OMB – a contest that spanned about 15 months – the retailer was later successful in a bid to set up shop not far from its preferred site where land was acquired with the appropriate zoning.

A 90,000 sq. ft. store is currently under construction. The originally proposed development was for 135,000 sq. ft.

Mathieson said municipal costs associated with the company's challenge to the city's planning policy has been estimated at $1.25 to $1.4 million.

That includes staff time as well as fees for consultants, other experts and lawyers.

donal.oconnor@sunmedia.ca

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#5 2013-03-20 18:44:28

Steel

Target is rocketing along. Whats interesting is that Dollarama is showing up on the sign on the new Sobey's site. I know Target has said that the store foot print was not as biig as they would like. Wonder if they are taking overthe Dollarama space as well.

As for "W"....I am sure the amount will come out at some point but whatever it is ...the trend in the US is corporate sponsorship of some of these civic projects....and thats a good thing.

As for the soil. Its levels of contaminents they are digging up/out....so a soils engineer said

#6 2013-03-20 18:59:16

Steel

Well...there is the answer

$1.25 million....

Good for them.

Now all the nay-sayer will have to avoid that part of downtown as of course....it was "W" money that helped fund it.

#7 2013-03-20 21:26:15

rankinfile

Well yes....the City has to move the Bss depot behind City Hall...and the Cooper site is a prime location.   Considering the Cities record in dealing with "the dingbat" will they be able to come to a solution over the court claims and actually do ANYTHING with the Cooper site within the 7 years set out in the trust agreement.  Not sure if I can hold my breath that long.

#8 2013-03-21 11:12:21

Blueline

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

So this money may never actually get spent but Walmart gets the good will from donating it.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Walmart definately now has the upper hand on the city.

#9 2013-03-21 18:34:45

spankie

Blueline wrote:

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

So this money may never actually get spent but Walmart gets the good will from donating it.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Walmart definately now has the upper hand on the city.

Always has to be one person commenting against Walmart. You lost the war and even in Victory Walmart is still willing to give money back to the city.

I just hope we don 't get more Soccer Fields or Baseball diamonds downtown for our money. Maybe we'll actually get something that the entire population of this town can enjoy.

#10 2013-06-30 08:26:31

Cougs

Steel wrote:

Interesting turn of events...."big evil company" as City Centre and many residents see them, is going to contribute to the development of Market Square. By doing it through a trust mangaged by Goodmans they have chosen well as there is transparency to the whole thing.

So given the long long list of proposals and the continuing desire to do something with that area by many in the City and most notably those in city center, will this spark similiar contributions from other "big" businesses in the City or from City Center businesses themselves?

I doubt it.

The City Centre has never cried "evil" regarding Walmart. I'm not sure where that idea came from. There has never been an outcry or campaign against Walmart from the BIA or even from individual shops. The OMB asked that Walmart build in other end of town, where Sobeys is going now, and the BIA supported that OMB decision. Not once did the City Centre fight to keep Walmart away.
Downtown businesses do not see Walmart as evil. We see it as a chance to show everyone how we are different from cookie-cutter stores.
As for City Centre businesses contributing to Market Square: the businesses downtown pay an exorbitant amount of taxes, levy's and fees to the city. I think we've paid more than our fair share already.
I'm not sure where this attitude towards the City Centre comes from, but I invite you to do a little research and get your facts straight.

#11 2013-07-03 19:37:08

bulldog

I had a conversation with a member of the city centre, during the hubub and they were dead against walmart with voodoo type statistics of how much business they would loose.  and yes they were referred to as bad and evil and everything else..

#12 2013-07-05 18:41:24

spankie

Cus lord knows Walmart sells Christmas Decorations, Specialty coffee's, specialty teas, indigenous artifacts, Scottish stuff, etc., etc.

Board footer