You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-18 09:41:17

Steel

Condos

Foundations are going on Front st. for 32 new condos. Nice to see that vacant land being developed finally. Tricar is the developer and they have numerous high quality projects in the London area.

They are also opening a sales office on Ontario St. in the shop next to Pazzo Bakery...the old Merchantile and Patiserre place (which closed not surprisingly)

#2 2013-02-18 23:16:01

Stratfordian

Re: Condos

Fourteen years ago I walked into a sales trailer at that condo site, and registered my email address with the company.  $10K down, another 10 on ground breaking, another 10 when unit started.
Talk about a slow start...
I know it wasn't the same developer.  The home owners along Ballantyne must be pissed!

Last edited by Stratfordian (2013-02-18 23:16:44)

#3 2013-02-19 18:46:07

spankie

Why do we need all this housing? Where are all these people coming from? Even more to the point where do these people work? Cause I haven't heard of a big influx of jobs here.

How many of these units once built are going to remain empty?

Last edited by spankie (2013-02-19 18:47:40)

#4 2013-02-20 10:28:18

rankinfile

My gad Spankie, you seem very negative.  You are as bad if not worse than the people of Stratford who hate change, who fight against new development, who fight against Walmart coming to town.

What difference does it make to you if some of the condos remain empty--will this cost you personally something??  If they build  it they will come.  Well not really.  The condo at the north end of Romeo has had its problems attracting buyers.  But it is unlikely that a developer  will start building without an appreciation of future sales.

I don't hear your concerns about the new housing being built/planned for north of Mc Carthy, north of the high schools.  What about all the houses in the "Fields"?  Why do we need yet another Sobeys in the west end?  How can we do without a KFC here in town?

I imagine the new Bank complex behind Boston Pizza is now up and running.  Is this all machines just doing their own thing, or are there actual people working in this massive building??  I suspect there must be more that 6 or 8 people working there.  I wonder, did they all come from town here??  Are they all on contract by those nasty employment agencies earning minimum wages?  Did you apply--I recall you have some "computer training"?  Perhaps it is they who will be purchasing these new homes, and paying taxes to help supplement our welfare roles for those who cannot find a job.

#5 2013-02-20 17:21:20

spankie

rankinfile wrote:

My gad Spankie, you seem very negative.  You are as bad if not worse than the people of Stratford who hate change, who fight against new development, who fight against Walmart coming to town.

What difference does it make to you if some of the condos remain empty--will this cost you personally something??  If they build  it they will come.  Well not really.  The condo at the north end of Romeo has had its problems attracting buyers.  But it is unlikely that a developer  will start building without an appreciation of future sales.

I don't hear your concerns about the new housing being built/planned for north of Mc Carthy, north of the high schools.  What about all the houses in the "Fields"?  Why do we need yet another Sobeys in the west end?  How can we do without a KFC here in town?

I imagine the new Bank complex behind Boston Pizza is now up and running.  Is this all machines just doing their own thing, or are there actual people working in this massive building??  I suspect there must be more that 6 or 8 people working there.  I wonder, did they all come from town here??  Are they all on contract by those nasty employment agencies earning minimum wages?  Did you apply--I recall you have some "computer training"?  Perhaps it is they who will be purchasing these new homes, and paying taxes to help supplement our welfare roles for those who cannot find a job.

I question all the new housing developments as I can't see that Stratford's population has grown that much recently and with all the job loss what is attracting these people here? Is this just a lot of Senior Citizens moving here or what? If so there may be a point when they reach critical mass and there's more of them than there are people to run the services for them. Instant ghost town.

Sobeys is building the new store and closing the old one. Personally I think it's a bad move on their part. They had no competition at there current location and a ready customer base. And with their high prices they are going to find it hard to compete at the new location.

As for the Royal Bank Centre as for as I have heard it's still not open yet and no one's been hired to work there. It's been how long in the making now.

They did have a job at the Bank but it was for Racking Experts. I have done racking before but am bu no means an expert. I have been working but only able to find a minimum wage part-time position outside my field. I make too much to go on welfare even thought I make below the poverty line.

#6 2013-02-20 18:19:13

Stratfordian

Wow, it's amazing how developers, industries, banks and the university manage to survive without the expert input from anonymous internet bloggers like Spankie.

If there were no market for the housing, they wouldn't build.  These developers actually conduct research, you know.  They make money doing this.

Who will buy those condos?  Yes, some will be retirees.  Some will move here, some will be downsizing from detached homes in town.  I know two retired lawyers who live in the Huntingdon who sold two story homes, and one former owner who moved into a semi.  Some will be employed professionals, and some will be bought by investors and rented out.

Retirees actually benefit a city, spankie.  That's why entire regions spend money trying to attract them.  They have money, spare time and, contrary to popular myth, the vast majority of them will not end up in nursing homes.  Those that do, wait for it, support the nursing home industry!  How many nurses, cooks, cleaners, managers, therapists, are employed in this town alone?  Add in Ontario Home Oxygen, the denturists, and on and on.

As noted, what is it to you who lives there?  Empty units will be owned by the developer until sold, and tax paid on them at a vacant rate.

The condos on Romeo had construction issues galore, and the reputation hurt sales.  Original units are all sold now, and sales you see are resales.  John and Terry Hart of Royal Lepage are the experts on that development.

Last edited by Stratfordian (2013-02-20 18:19:45)

#7 2013-02-21 00:01:48

mr.nelson

Original site plan approved in 1985

The footprint of a new condominium development on Front St. at Ballantyne Ave. is firmly set but the 31-unit building isn’t expected to be completed until January next year.

The Tricar Developments project on what was vacant land began around late November.

The four-storey building is being constructed next to The Huntingdon condo building and is advertised as “luxury condominiums.”

John Wolfe of Re/Max a-b Realty said the units will range from 1,300 to 1,900 square feet and there’ll be one 2,700- square-foot penthouse.

Pricing starts at $399,000, he said.

The land had been earmarked for two condo developments several years ago and building plans had been approved.

David Carroll, the city's chief building official, said the original site plan for the entire site was approved in 1985.

The existing condominium building was constructed shortly after that but the rest of the site was left vacant.

So far the city has issued building permits for the above-ground shell of the new building valued at $12 million and for the foundation, already in place, at $1.5 million.

An additional permit for finishing work is expected to follow.

Tricar is a construction and property management company that has developed condo buildings in London, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo and elsewhere. The firm acquired possession of the Stratford property around August last year.

The condo building currently under construction is called Thirty-Six Front, after its street address.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#8 2013-02-21 00:43:42

mr.nelson

mr.nelson wrote:

The footprint of a new condominium development on Front St. at Ballantyne Ave. is firmly set but the 31-unit building isn’t expected to be completed until January next year.

The Tricar Developments project on what was vacant land began around late November.

The four-storey building is being constructed next to The Huntingdon condo building and is advertised as “luxury condominiums.”

John Wolfe of Re/Max a-b Realty said the units will range from 1,300 to 1,900 square feet and there’ll be one 2,700- square-foot penthouse.

The land had been earmarked for two condo developments several years ago and building plans had been approved.

David Carroll, the city's chief building official, said the original site plan for the entire site was approved in 1985.

The existing condominium building was constructed shortly after that but the rest of the site was left vacant.

So far the city has issued building permits for the above-ground shell of the new building valued at $12 million and for the foundation, already in place, at $1.5 million.

Tricar is a construction and property management company that has developed condo buildings in London, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo and elsewhere. The firm acquired possession of the Stratford property around August last year.

The condo building currently under construction is called Thirty-Six Front, after its street address.

It's obvious no matter how old the site plan that you have, it can be developed even 28 years later. The old boys backroom club let this happen, Either way there was a site plan registered for the site and is being used in 2013.
To me the way it looks you are getting a 31 unit condo from 1985, That If I had known about it I would have fought about saving the environmental safety of the river and wild life thats more important than housing.
You all worry about the train yard thats suppose to make money for the city and had site plan approval, not for just 1 year or 2 years or 3 years; fights that create lawsuits and OMB hearings against the city. You think 1 million dollars for an OMB hearing for Walmart is enough, ask council or the mayor put them on the spot,as  for how much expropriation litagation costs us?( I bet the fees are over 5 or 6 millon on top of taking the lands. I maybe wrong on my figures) but the city is 93.4 million in debt and council ask to borrow as a by-law 35 millon more this year. Are we going to end up like Detroit under bankrupty protection because of over spending. Dan the man has go to go, along with the other  overspenders in city hall.

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#9 2013-02-21 10:10:09

Steel

mr.nelson wrote:

mr.nelson wrote:

It's obvious no matter how old the site plan that you have, it can be developed even 28 years later. The old boys backroom club let this happen, Either way there was a site plan registered for the site and is being used in 2013.
To me the way it looks you are getting a 31 unit condo from 1985, That If I had known about it I would have fought about saving the environmental safety of the river and wild life thats more important than housing.
You all worry about the train yard thats suppose to make money for the city and had site plan approval, not for just 1 year or 2 years or 3 years; fights that create lawsuits and OMB hearings against the city. You think 1 million dollars for an OMB hearing for Walmart is enough, ask council or the mayor put them on the spot,as  for how much expropriation litagation costs us?( I bet the fees are over 5 or 6 millon on top of taking the lands. I maybe wrong on my figures) but the city is 93.4 million in debt and council ask to borrow as a by-law 35 millon more this year. Are we going to end up like Detroit under bankrupty protection because of over spending. Dan the man has go to go, along with the other  overspenders in city hall.

You just had to know that Neilson would drag his buddy Larry into this and try to make a parallel. There isn't one Nielson...Tricar is an expereinced developer, unlike Larry, Tricar applied for a got building permits, unlike Larry, Tricar has properly registered the Condo development posted the bonds required with the authorities, unlike Larry, Tricar has the capital, unlike Larry, Tricar has a excellent track record, unlike Larry.

In the end Neilson....as you say at the end of every one of your posts...."you can't fix stupid".....certainly fitting

#10 2013-02-21 10:17:34

Stratfordian

I think it was odd for the project to have been approved in 1985, it's a large development in a single family home area, but approved it was and the first phase built.  The vacant land was up for sale as recently as two years ago for $2 million.  If the city wanted more parkland, it could have expropriated, but at what cost for a small parcel?  The plan was approved, it is being developed per the plan, let's move on.

Board footer