You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-22 15:02:43

mr.nelson

Cooper site has heritage value:

Cooper site has heritage value: report

A highly anticipated consultant’s report on the former Cooper site in Stratford has concluded that the property has heritage value, and is worth either preserving or commemorating in some way.

That assessment from Toronto-based Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd. Architects (GBCA), released this week, finds that the former locomotive repair shops meet all the criteria to be considered a property of cultural and heritage significance.

“It is our opinion that this site is of heritage value and worthy of preservation or commemoration,” concludes the 27-page report.

That will surely reignite the contentious debate about what to do with the sprawling property just outside of the downtown core, which has been largely unused for decades. The debate could heat up Wednesday night, when a public meeting will be held at city hall to discuss the report.

While it makes no specific recommendations on what to do with the property, it does address the competing options — either to preserve or demolish the site.

A complete demolition would be costly, it finds, and would not preserve the heritage value of the site nor take advantage of some opportunities for development there. A heritage restoration of the building would also be “unfeasible due to its sheer scale.”

What should be considered, according to the report, is a series of “compromise options” that could include demolishing a portion of the superstructure but leaving some of the frame, concrete slab and foundation in place.

That would preserve the “essence” of the historic building, but allow developers to fill in the shell with potential uses like a commemorative park, a bus depot, parking, restaurant, library, sports facility, university campus expansion or museum.

The consultant will present the report during a public meeting Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the council chambers at city hall.

An electronic copy of the so-called Borgal Report is available online through the city’s website at HYPERLINK "http://www.city.stratford.on.ca/"www.city.stratford.on.ca under the Recent Postings section.

mike.beitz@sunmedia.ca

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#2 2012-06-23 21:44:51

rankinfile

Re: Cooper site has heritage value:

Well, the City finally has their act together and the report (s) are on their web site.  Not bad reports, considering they buy into the preserve the cultural significant structure.   But they do give a number of options, discarding a rebuild, or total preservation----down to put up a plaque.

Interesting comments in the Appendix report, including:-an offer to demolish the structure for the value of the steel
-suggestion of a small preservation of two repair bays, and use for a bus depot
- a suggestion from the Heritage Committee-  new members on the committee this year don’t want the public to make the decision (pg 11 Appdix)--oh, aren't they special!

Well, more reports I bet to determine costs associated with various options suggested, so council can make a decision.

I suggest keep a small part, tear down most of the rest, leave the foundation and a portion of the steel superstructure  ("that  can be left exposed for the next 100 years and not fall down") and perhaps consider parking -- perhaps multi story parking---good for theatre tourists and down town merchants.

#3 2012-06-24 14:33:26

Miss Manners

Rankin, could you post the link to the report? I'm on the site and can't find it ... where did they wilbury it ?
Thanx bunches!

" Plough in the dynamical plane, and harvest in parameter space."

#4 2012-06-24 21:00:09

rankinfile

Stratford City "Home" page  >> bottom Right side "Recent Postings"  First two items, Borgal Report and Borgal Report Appendices.

http://www.city.stratford.on.ca/documen … Report.pdf

http://www.city.stratford.on.ca/documen … ndices.pdf

#5 2012-06-26 14:14:52

mr.nelson

BUILDING CONDITION ASSESSMENT REPORT
CITY OF STRATFORD COOPER SITE
350 DOWNIE STREET, STRATFORD, ONTARIO
Issued Date: June 25, 2012

http://www.city.stratford.on.ca/documen … 0Final.pdf

You Can't Fix Stupid!

#6 2012-06-27 11:02:36

spankie

Put up a commemorative plaque and tear the sucker down. Have we not sunk enough of the cities money into this site? If a certain group feels it needs to be saved let the cost come out of their pocket not the rest of us.

#7 2012-06-27 11:53:14

Steel

The continuing discussion regarding this site is just plain stupid. Those that claim it has hertiage merit continue to call it the "Cooper Site". One would have trouble convincing me that Cooper Bessmer's occupation of that building had any more heritage value than Dominion Chain or Blackstone  occupying their respective buildings.

The truth is if there is any hertiage at all left in that hulk of a ruin it has to do with the CNR shops. Yes lets be nostalgic....but when CNR changed from Steam to Diesel....the government run company left Stratford hanging.  I fail to see the value in that.

As for whats left of those buildings...they are a disgrace to any memory of the "good old days" of steam engines. Laughable Larry precided over their deterioration to the point of no repair....or repair at $10's of millions more than the cost to build new.

Stop throwing money into this bottomless pit....knock it down and expand the university....erect a nice little parkette and plague where the flag pole was at the front of the building (proably not there anymore as Larry probably sold it for scrap)....and lets move on!

#8 2012-06-27 14:13:34

rankinfile

I can just see Larry reading this report---" See it says that it is still structurally sound.  Sure it needs a bit of patching on the roof---but it will still stand.  I just needed to add a bit of paint, and bang we could have a hotel, stores, a library.  I even talked to a guy in Elliot lake.....oh better not mention that....to early......"

#9 2012-06-27 22:09:12

rankinfile

Attended the presentation a City Hall tonight.  And Larry was there to make a comment on the presentation.  Said it was great to see all the reports the City had done, they support his cause.  He disagreed with the Engineering report, said there is nothing wrong with the roof--has stood for 100 years, will last longer.  Sure, I guess a bit of wet stick would help with them leaks, but there is nothing structurally wrong with the building.   So expect his report to the OMB regarding the Expropriation hearing, he still wants some 18.6 MILLION dollars.....and by the way, you stole my land for the use of the University...and if they ain't using the old building for the university I want it back!!!! or you will pay big time.   And I want it back anyway.....

And in the meantime, the building huggers want a one to two year period of time to study what we could do with the building to preserve some part of it as a historical monument to the railway era.  Yup, more studies, more waiting.....where is winter lighting when you need it??

#10 2012-06-29 10:22:34

spankie

Any one got a blow torch. If we sneak in late at night and cut the beams one by one. How about a nuc? Or a couple of well placed pieces of dynamite. Maybe steal a dozer and give a few columns a whack until it comes down. Please god save us from these idiots in town who think Stratford is gods gift to the world and that nothing should change here EVER!!

#11 2012-06-29 13:30:43

rankinfile

spankie wrote:

Any one got a blow torch. If we sneak in late at night and cut the beams one by one. How about a nuc? Or a couple of well placed pieces of dynamite. Maybe steal a dozer and give a few columns a whack until it comes down. Please god save us from these idiots in town who think Stratford is gods gift to the world and that nothing should change here EVER!!

Could it not be argued that there is in fact another group in town who just want to destroy--if not the Cooper site, the old factory beside the Arden Park Hotel, City Hall, the old post office, the big house just north of the Church Restaurant....and many more.  Did the loss of all these buildings make the City a finer place??  Have these demolitions made things "change" since"??

And now we must endure the demolition of our favourite Timmies to create parking for WalMart!!

#12 2012-06-29 13:39:53

spankie

I thought the favorite timmies was downtown?

How is a factory made of concrete and aluminum siding that is full of dangerous material and about to fall down in any way similar to City Hall or other buildings that at least have some architectural features worth saving? I am not for the wholesale destruction of buildings either but really.

#13 2012-06-29 15:26:50

rankinfile

rankinfile wrote:

Well, the City finally has their act together and the report (s) are on their web site.  Not bad reports, considering they buy into the preserve the cultural significant structure.   But they do give a number of options, discarding a rebuild, or total preservation----down to put up a plaque.

Interesting comments in the Appendix report, including:-an offer to demolish the structure for the value of the steel
-suggestion of a small preservation of two repair bays, and use for a bus depot
- a suggestion from the Heritage Committee-  new members on the committee this year don’t want the public to make the decision (pg 11 Appdix)--oh, aren't they special!

Well, more reports I bet to determine costs associated with various options suggested, so council can make a decision.

I suggest keep a small part, tear down most of the rest, leave the foundation and a portion of the steel superstructure  ("that  can be left exposed for the next 100 years and not fall down") and perhaps consider parking -- perhaps multi story parking---good for theatre tourists and down town merchants.

Well Spankie--see my comment above.  I agree--'taint much to look at here other than immense scale.  Commemorate part of it, but get them bulldozers revved up!!

#14 2012-06-30 01:08:33

bulldog

i think if a corner remained and you put some old steam engine parts like boiler tubes (god knows that there are enough of those around).....and stuck em in the ground,,,perhaps have a little plaque with some historic drivil on it,,,,that would satisfy the heritage fanatics and the railroad foamers........................its time to move on to reinvent this site........

#15 2012-07-05 19:50:11

Miss Manners

Who are the "New" heritage committee members ?

" Plough in the dynamical plane, and harvest in parameter space."

Board footer